Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Waypointing and Path Directions
Gruuunt
post Apr 24 2004, 08:44 AM
Post #1

Advanced Moron

Group: Waypointers
Member No.: 143

With the release of Version 3 beta 4, I have been busily waypointing the newly revised map ns_bast, and have suddenly found where I have been going wrong all the time whilst waypointing for RcBot. unsure.gif

Lets Set The Scene
I am stood at the bottom of the ladder below the 'rine base. The lift is before me and slightly to the right on the far wall is the lift switch and to my right behind the ladder is the main door switch. ph34r.gif

Now my usual approach (Totally wrong in this case) would be to drop a waypoint before the door and on the lift with a wait flag, and a door/lift switch beside each switch.

Now it wouldn't really make sense for the bot to wander across to the lift switch as he has just come down the ladder, and the door switch is behind the bottom of the ladder so that is obstructed although thats where I want him to go next. I dont want the bot to go straight onto the lift either and wait 10secs. In fact the logic of which direction the bot is coming from and the actions required to be taken needs to be planned. blink.gif

So I discovered that taking 2 waypoints and using rcbot pathwaypoint remove1 and rcbot pathwaypoint remove2 you can make directional pathway decisions.

----------------------------------------------------------------
for example:

with 3 waypoints A and B and C; I want the following logical actions/directions to take place.

A - B
| /
C

A >> C
A [Not to] B

B >> A
B [Not to] C

C >> B
C [Not to] A

The bot arrives at waypoint A and I want him to go straight to waypoint C.
So I would stand on A and issue rcbot pathwaypoint remove1, then move to waypoint B, and issue rcbot pathwaypoint remove2.

If I look at the pathway while standing at B, I can see a pathway leading to A and C, but if I now wander over to A the pathway has been removed to waypoint B.

I still need to stop the bot from reversing his path back from B to C if he is coming from waypoint C, so stand on B issue rcbot pathwaypoint remove1, move to waypoint C issue rcbot pathwaypoint remove2.

Hopefully this is starting to 'click inside your head ' now as the final path adjustment needed is to remove the path from C to A. If you have been following correctly, you should now be yelling "stand on waypoint C issue rcbot pathwaypoint remove1, move to waypoint A issue rcbot pathwaypoint remove2"! biggrin.gif
----------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I realise that all you 'real waypointers' out there are probably laughing your socks off at the moment, but RTFM isn't really a life saver here and this method does not appear to be explained 'Not Knocking Cheesah'. However for newbies like myself, I hope this makes waypointing that bit more lucid and fun, and no-longer having to wonder why the bot has just spun around the room 20 times totally unintelligently, and will the little bugger ever head towards that switch...

Sorry for such a long post, just thort it might be usefull to somebody - Damn, this means I gotta go over all those other waypoints - sigh rolleyes.gif

Gruuunt AKA Mad Mart

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cheeseh
post Apr 24 2004, 11:13 AM
Post #2

Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Using paths you can make bots go round in circles smile.gif like making a lap round stuff

CODE

a _ b
  /       \
 f         c  
  \ e_d /

no path from a to b means to get to a from b they need to go through b to f and back to a :P

+Quote Post
Sandman[SA]
post Apr 24 2004, 06:40 PM
Post #3

RCBot Waypointer

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19

I knew about that since foxbot v0.67 (dated 2/2/01) and is the only way to handle bots movements through doors and lifts with switches. Otherwise, the bots would get stuck or just run around in an endless loop. It's also very useful for tricking bots to go through areas that you don't want them to back-track to, like easy to exit but hard to enter spawning areas.

To bad whichbot does not have this feature. In fact, I think whichbot is the only current bot that lacks fully editable waypoint pathways it's hurting them a lot.
+Quote Post
NoLogo
post Jul 13 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 350

Wont work for me.. I remove the path and creates somewhere else, but then all the paths for the other waypoints just magically spawn back lol dry.gif
+Quote Post
Sandman[SA]
post Jul 13 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #5

RCBot Waypointer

Member No.: 19

Are you remembering to SAVE your work? Command: rcbot waypoint save
+Quote Post
LordSkitch
post Jul 13 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #6

I cuddle with my bots.

Member No.: 291

rcbot pathwaypoint disable. laugh.gif

more often than not, if you let rcbot do its own pathways, youll end up with something like this...

user posted image

while, it does look pretty freakin cool geometrically, it's not the original path you had in mind, which was this.

user posted image

Granted, I don't know what you'd use a big circle for, but you get what I mean, it'll make a pathway to every waypoint it can find, and get your bots stuck on something they shouldnt be stuck on... so instead, disable the auto pathwaypointing, and use

rcbot pathwaypoint create1
rcbot pathwaypoint create2

to put in your pathways all sexiful like. I find a lot of times its easier to put in the pathways than to remove all the excess ones...

but ive got N and M bound to create1 and 2, and < and > bound to remove1 and 2 and mouse4 set to drop waypoints... and right click brings up the waypoint_menu thingy... and all sorts of stuff, cause more often than not when I play on my server with a bunch of other guys, a bot will get stuck somewhere, so I just keep adding waypoints to get them out of their little tight situations.

Good waypoint sets are works of art! And it takes quite a while to perfect them.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:07 PM