IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The Definitive Guide To Botting NS 2, A tutorial on getting it all working
ICEDajay
post Sep 25 2003, 06:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 25

Right, after all the problems i've had getting bots working (my own fault) I thought i'd write this to make sure no-one else has to go through what I did =)
NB: This tutorial is aimed at Win32 users - if you run linux, then i can almost be certain that you know what you're doing anyway wink.gif
Firstly, you'll need the latest version of RCBot, which can be obtained from here
If that doesn't work go here and look for a link.

[Edit Cheeseh] If using RCBot 1.01 download this : http://www.rcbot.net/downloads/rcbot_new/dlls.zip after installing the bot as it fixes bugs in metamod [/Edit]

I'm using metamod for my setup, (which allows for the use of plugins/other bots like whichbot)
Get the latest version here - once again, if that doesn't work go here

And if you haven't already got it, NS v2 might be a good idea, have a look for mirrors here

Let's get NS2 installed, if you already have it installed and have been playing around with it, installing bots or whatever then removing & reinstalling will make everything clean. After you have a clean install of NS2, the latest ZIP of RCBot should be decompressed into your half-life folder, (eg. C:\Sierra\Half-Life\RCBOT\.)
We now need to install metamod. Start by creating a directory in your "Half-Life\ns\" folder called "addons" then another within that: "metamod", and finally "dlls" within that. Should look something like '...Half-Life\ns\addons\metamod\dlls\' Now open the metamod.zip file, and extract metamod.dll into this directory.
To tell metamod to load RCBot, we have to create a file named 'plugins.ini' in the 'Half-Life\ns\addons\metamod\' directory. Mine looks like this:
CODE
win32 ../rcbot/dlls/rcbot_mm.dll
- that should be sufficient for now.
To activate metamod we have to edit the 'liblist.gam' file within the 'Half-Life\ns\' folder.
Look for these two lines in this file:
CODE
gamedll "dlls\ns.dll"
gamedll_linux "dlls/ns_i386.so"

Comment them and add this single line:
CODE
gamedll "addons/metamod/dlls/metamod.dll"

That part of your liblist.gam file should now look like this:
CODE
// gamedll "dlls\ns.dll"
// gamedll_linux "dlls/ns_i386.so"
gamedll "addons/metamod/dlls/metamod.dll"

Now run NS. I'd suggest binding a key to the botmenu command for easy access to bot controls. To do this, type the following into the halflife console:
CODE
bind DEL "rcbot bot_menu"
of course replacing 'DEL' with whichever key you want.
Start a multiplayer game, press the assigned botmenu key, add bots and enjoy.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
Replies
Sandman[SA]
post Mar 23 2004, 07:07 AM
Post #2

RCBot Waypointer

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19

Ok, since you have confemed that you do have RCbot and Whichbot working together but are finding crash problems "after" the game has begun then you have another problem that is not setup related. Please start a new topic in the "Install problems" board of this forum.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:49 PM