IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New content from dodbits., Take a look and test?
INsane_dod
post Jun 10 2019, 01:04 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,261

Edit: Oct 2023 - fixed some broken links

Hi all, (again in 2023) Just letting you know I have deleted the 2019 installer and setup guide described below.

There were too many issues with the 2019 installer, also Steam desktop shortcuts are broken and Steam registry... is behaving badly when players move a game to another drive.

There is a new 2023 installer now. RCBot2 on dod:s still works fine... if you get the installation right.
https://www.dodbits.com/dods/index.php/down...cbot2-installer

There is a new dodbits guide and that have a RCBot2 FAQ and help section (listen servers only)
https://www.dodbits.com/dods/index.php/day-...eat-source-bots

The Help section on the above page may be of interest to people who have installation issues, not only for dod:s but also other steam games. I found most issues come back to steam files and changes steam has implemented since 2019.

The help section has an index...
https://www.dodbits.com/dods/index.php/day-...ots#backtoindex

The Steam community guide for RCBot2 got a complete re-write today.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/file.../?id=1757780901

The dodbits RCBot2 support page has lots of custom maps and waypoints... still about the same, working on it. Oct 2023 EDIT: I have finished updating the list for known waypoints and map downloads in September 2023. A new RCBot2 map pack is now available on dodbits.com.
https://www.dodbits.com/dods/index.php/dods...d-map-downloads

Just a refresh of the content and found quite a lot to make it an easier install than the 2019 set.

INsane dodbits.com

Here is the older 2019 info' now out of date mostly, but I'll leave it here...

Hi all, I figure this is the best place to test two three items I fooled around with recently.

An installer. (UPDATED 30 June 2019 84 map support and a better readme.)
This one is for the persons who struggle with manually installing RCBot2 for Day of Defeat: Source.
I got some feedback and looked in the Steam Forums, it seems a lot of people have problems even with the 2019 installer.

So I made a version that...

a. Only works for DoDs
b. Has a steam folder finder (most times it works)
c. Will make a desktop shortcut (based on the users steam directory address on install) and has "-insecure -novid" so no editing... just click it.
Target - "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 300 -novid -insecure
d. Will make a second desktop shortcut to RCBotProfiles.exe so the user can alter the 16 bot server file I set.

Test it for me?

1. This is a NSIS installer so if you get a warning in windows 10 due to your settings, select “More info” link then the “Run anyway” button.

IPB Image

The open source NSIS installers I use don't install anything else but RCBot2 files and a desktop shortcut, they don't phone home, VAC ban you or anything nasty.
Some antivirus programs and windows settings will complain and that's quite normal, see here on that "False positive" issue... https://nsis.sourceforge.io/NSIS_False_Positives

2. See if it does find the steam folder...
64 Bit - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\
32 Bit - C:\Program Files\Steam\
...it needs that address not the "dod" folder like you see on other installers. So long as it finds the steam folder off your registry settings (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam) it will place all the files correctly.

3. Then the installer should continue on to make a desktop icon (with a dods icon graphic named "Day of Defeat Source RCBot2"), click it and have dods open and enable the bots on a complaint map that has waypoints supported.

4. The installer will also place another shortcut called "RCBotProfiles". This is a link to the standard application that comes with RCBot2. It will open a program with a set of tools where you can configure the skill and number of bots you want in your game. Read the readme in the download or see this section "configure the bots" in the RCBot2 "manual install" steam guide.

Download here.

The second content item is a guide on the steam forums for Manually installing RCBot2 (for dods only).

Its quite long at 24 steps and again target was a "nothing left out" step by step for those that struggle.

The guide is here.

Update 30 June 2019: A third item now released.
A support download for the custom maps supported by RCBot2.

1.45GB download of 75 custom maps

download that here (Mediafire download)

Man am I enjoying the bots Cheeseh biggrin.gif

They seem very stable and lots of waypoints.

Changes to the download.

14th June 2019 change -
Installer package - altered the installer script to include a dod icon on the desktop after first download installer made a blank icon.

16th June 2019 change
Installer package - 1. Altered the installer script to also include a desktop shortcut to the RCBotProfiles.exe
Main files - 2. Corrected the rcbot2.VDF file in the download it had errors in the RCBot2 folder address

30th June 2019 change:
Installer rework now has 85 map support, cleaned some useless files and supplied a better readme in pdf.

Coming changes in progress:

No date yet: A in game waypoint panel and keybind guide. I already have one made ages ago but it needs updates. Image of the older panel.

No date yet: Like the download support for the RCBot2 maps for players I will also place the same set for server admins, they need a different approach and other support files. I have that set on windows LAN server already and testing it still.

No date yet: Docker game server: Find out why RCBot2 works on a windows dedicated server fine, but not Docker package (Linux for UNraid servers). Metamod and scourcemod work in a docker but not RCBot2.

INsane
dodbits.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:26 PM