> Custom music in a N-S game ?
Lyran
post Dec 15 2004, 04:58 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 295

What's up guys.

I played a good number of Natural-Selection games where a few players would sometimes play a custom music, but it usually never lasts long.

For example, the icon that shows they're talking...well, it shows up, but it's a song playing, not the player talking. Some of you here surely saw that.

Some with poor quality, others with great quality. It's never the same,

I'd like to know...

How is it possible to "play" either a part of a track or the whole length, while playing a game ?

Do I need to be the host of my own server (dedicated or not) ?

I'm not sure, but I think some of the cases when I saw that were just unknown players, playing for fun of course, and they were not hosts or anything important to the server. Just a normal player. And I've seen cases where the host would play (with usually very good quality) many songs in a row.

There's even one time where a random guy in the Marines team started to play The Imperial March (the famous Darth Vader theme from Star Wars) during the assault on a last Hive...and the Aliens could also hear it ! laugh.gif

Everyone liked it, it created some kind of a adrenaline rush for us (Marines), and they didn't last longer than expected.

I would like to play some decent songs, or just some funny ones.

Like, the infamous Banana Phone ! laugh.gif

But I don't know how.

Would I need to change the format to something specific ? Do I need to put it/them (the track(s)) in a specific folder ? Etc...

I would like to know.

Thanks guys.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
LordSkitch
post Dec 15 2004, 08:59 AM
Post #2

I cuddle with my bots.

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 291

At www.amxmod.net you can get a couple plugins, the ones I'm using to do it is Psychosounds to play the sounds on text triggers

( http://djeyl.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3440 )

and Sound Download Management

( http://djeyl.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6799 )

Then, you put wav's in a directory, \sound for example, and add them to the #ALL section of the download plugin.

Then with Psychosounds, you put in trigger words such as..

"banana" "/sound/bananaphone.wav"

or

"are these bots" "/sounds/YES THESE ARE BOTS.wav"

I've got 8 or 9 sounds set up currently, but I've just started to get it all set up.
+Quote Post
link2002
post Dec 15 2004, 09:10 AM
Post #3

RCBot Fan

Member No.: 231

it was HLSS (Half-Life Sound Selector)

http://www.cox-internet.com/jhmorri/HLSS.html
+Quote Post
Lyran
post Dec 15 2004, 11:12 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Thanks Lord and link.

I'll start with AMX and Psychosounds for a try.

But I'd appreciate if you, LordSkitch, could tell me how to configure/install that.

I'm aware of some things to do, though, such as follows:

1) Put the "psychosounds.amx" file in addons\amx\plugins\
2) Open "liblist.gam", change the line "gamedll "dlls\ns.dll"" to "//gamedll "dlls\ns.dll"", then add "gamedll "addons\metamod\dlls\metamod.dll"".
3) Then, in addons\metamod\plugins.ini, add "win32 addons/amx/dlls/amx_mm.dll".

But other than that, I don't know what to do. And...I don't even known if that is the correct thing to do anyway.

Also, the cache.sma and psychosounds.sma files, well, I just don't know what to do with them. I can open them with Notepad, I noticed that. But I don't know if I have to change anything in there. And I don't know where I need to put them, in which folder.

I'd appreciate to get some help on how to configure that thing so it works.

Thanks. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Lyran
post Dec 16 2004, 01:56 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

ohmy.gif

I got a problem guys. If I create a server with AMX, it crashes while downloading the map.

Here are my configurations:

liblist.gam
////////////////////////////
// Natural Selection      //
//  by Charlie Cleveland //
////////////////////////////
game "Natural Selection (beta 5)"
url_info "www.natural-selection.org"
url_dl "http://www.natural-selection.org/"
version "v3.0"
size "165000000"
svonly "0"
secure "0"
cldll "cl_dlls\client.dll"
hlversion "1110"
// How to allow training but disable "New game"?
type "multiplayer_only"
// Don't show models in browser
nomodels "1"
nohimodel "1"
// Only show NS-compliant maps
mpentity "info_mapinfo"
// Using HPB_bot support for now
//gamedll "dlls\ns.dll"
//gamedll_linux "dlls/ns_i386.so"
gamedll "addons\metamod\dlls\metamod.dll"
// Training map
//trainmap "ns_training"

addons\metamod\plugins.ini
## $Id: plugins.ini,v 1.3 2003/05/19 06:55:08 clamatius Exp $

win32 addons/whichbot/dlls/whichbot.dll
win32 ../rcbot/dlls/rcbot_mm.dll
win32  addons/amx/dlls/amx_mm.dll

I just added the win32 addons/amx/dlls/amx_mm.dll line today after downloading AMX 0.9.9.

There was a plugins_sample.ini file, but I deleted it, thinking it would confuse the game or something. I guess it was wrong doing so ? Can anyone tell me ?

So, right now there's only the plugins.ini file.

What I noticed was...that if I take out the win32 addons/amx/dlls/amx_mm.dll line, then everything is fine, and works properly.

Both RCBot and WhichBot work.

But as soon as I add anything related to AMX in the Metamod's plugins.ini file, then it crashes while downloading any map.

There's obviously something wrong going on. I just can't see what could be the cause(s) of the crash.

Can anyone help me regarding a proper AMX installation, considering I'm also using RCBot and WhichBot ?

And, finally...

I also have two files, that I downloaded after AMX (according to LordSkitch's links). Those are cache.sma and psychosounds.sma...

What do I do with those two files ? Where do I put them ? Do I need to edit one or more lines in them (via Notepad) ?

Thanks for everything guys.

Peace.
+Quote Post
link2002
post Dec 16 2004, 09:17 AM
Post #6

RCBot Fan

see your modules.ini from amx, it is loading any module? if it is, add the module to the metamod plugins.ini too.
+Quote Post
Sandman[SA]
post Dec 16 2004, 01:01 PM
Post #7

RCBot Waypointer

Member No.: 19

WOW! This is a pretty tall order Lyran. Where to begin? I guess we sould get AMX working first, huh?

Ok, first thing with amx099. Any moduals you have declared in the addons\amx\config\moduals.ini, also need to be declared in the addons\metamod\plugins.ini. Here is an example....

moduals.ini
CODE
; AMX Modules

; CS Stats
; This one must also be declared in MetaMod's plugins.ini!
;csstats_mm.dll

; Fun: more functions for modifications in HL
fun_mm.dll

; MySQL access
; mysql.dll

; 3rd party modules

; Vexd Util.
; VexdUM_mm.dll

Notice that I only have the fun modual enabled? So this is what your plugins.ini should have......

plugins.ini
CODE
win32 addons/amx/dlls/amx_mm.dll
win32 addons/amx/modules/fun_mm.dll

Now, since your running bots, we can't restrict bot chat through anti flood filters because bots can talk up a storm sometimes so.... disable the antiflood plugin from the addons\amx\config\plugins.ini, like this....

plugins.ini
CODE
;antiflood.amx ? ? ?; prevent clients from chat-flooding the server

Also, any stats plugins you see listed in there are for CS ONLY! Please disable all stats plugins if your using any other mod other then CS.

This should get AMX up and running. Now, if you want to add new amxmod plugins then this gets a little more involving but I can walk you through that to. Feel free to PM me any time.
+Quote Post
Lyran
post Dec 16 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Hey thanks SandmanSA ! biggrin.gif

It works now smile.gif

But it seems I can't play long tracks. Is it a limitation of psychosounds ? Or am I just doing something wrong ?

And, there's something else...

I can only play my sounds and tracks in a server I created (not dedicated, just created via the "create server" option in N-S main menu).

I tried in a server I joined, and it didn't worked.

And...finally, two other issues I would like to mention. But they have nothing to do with this thread's main subject. It's related to pausing the game (accessing the console) and people either leaving or joining my server.

Let's say I create a server in Ns_Eclipse. Now let's pretend I put 3 RCBots in Marines and 3 WBots in Aliens. I open the console and type "sv_lan 0" so my server is listen and people can join.

That's cool until now...

As soon as someone joins the server, my game pauses, and I must press Esc twice to 'unpause' it. And, not only that, but if I access the console, the game pauses for other players ! ohmy.gif

I never noticed that before. I played with a friend a few moments ago, and he told me that. I was surprised since I don't think it actually ever happened. Coincidence since I installed AMX ? I can't say, but that's strange and...quite stupid I must say.

I mean, I already joined a custom server, where the host could easily access the console and type commands while I played the game. It didn't pause in my screen.

But me...when I create a server...it pauses. And when a player either joins or leave the server, it pauses. And it does that to everyone in the game. If there's 2 human players in Marines and Aliens, and one of them (any) decides to leave, then it pauses for me, and all other players, and again, I must press Esc twice to unpause it.

Is there any way to avoid that ?

So, thanks for helping me regarding AMX. It works great now.

But I'm afraid that Psychosounds plugin is quite limited. It seems I can't play sounds in other servers, and it looks like I can't play long tracks. blink.gif

Oh well.

Thanks guys. But if anyone could help me about my other issues, then I would certainly appreciate. tongue.gif

Peace !
+Quote Post
link2002
post Dec 16 2004, 10:22 PM
Post #9

RCBot Fan

To remove the pause thing only write "pausable 0" in the console.

If you want to play sounds on other servers you need HLSS

HLSS download:
http://www.intheholecs.net/downloads/file/56

HLSS can only use .wav (wave) sound files. If you already have a .wav file you would like to use then you must check that the file is of 8000Hz and in 16 bit Mono format.

To get a .wav file into the correct format you can either use the Sound Recorder which comes with Windows, or another converting program. I use this wav converter but Sound Recorder can do the same job: File > Properties > Convert Now... > 8.000 kHz,16 bit, Mono.

http://www.intheholecs.net/downloads/file/57

If the .wav file you have is too long you should cut it so to select the best part to play to keep the clips short. I use this wav splitter which I find easy to use.:
http://www.intheholecs.net/downloads/file/58

Tutorial on Steam:
http://www.cox-internet.com/jhmorri/HLSS.html

This post has been edited by link2002: Dec 16 2004, 10:26 PM
+Quote Post
LordSkitch
post Dec 16 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #10

I cuddle with my bots.

It's not really designed for a listen server, I dunno what kinda consequences it'd take on that, but what can cause hangs is if you're telling the cache thing to send the wrong file, I had my upload file formatted wrong and it made it so nobody could join.

Anyhow, the SMA files are the source code for the AMX thing, if you drop them in the \amx\examples folder, you can run compile.bat to compile them all...

My sounds.cfg, minus a few, looks like this

CODE
pd_sound "jesus" "sound/jesuschrist.wav"
pd_sound "fun"  "sound/fun2.wav"
pd_sound "meow"  "sound/cat.wav"
pd_sound "hiss"  "sound/co_kestrel/catticked.wav"
pd_sound "laser" "sound/laser3.wav"
pd_sound "lazer" "sound/laser3.wav"
pd_sound "banana" "sound/banana.wav"
pd_sound "stick it" "sound/betcha2.wav"

and the

\config\master_sound_dl_list.cfg looks like this
CODE
#ALL
jesuschrist.wav
fun2.wav
cat.wav
laser3.wav
banana.wav
betcha2.wav

heres my modules.ini
CODE
; AMX Modules
; You can specify both linux & win32 modules here

; CS Stats
;addons/amx/dlls/csstats_mm.dll
;addons/amx/dlls/csstats_mm_i386.so

; More functions for modifications in HL
addons/amx/dlls/fun_mm.dll
;addons/amx/dlls/fun_mm_i386.so

; MySQL access
;addons/amx/dlls/mysql.dll
;addons/amx/dlls/mysql_i386.so

; NS2AMX access
addons/amx/dlls/mm_ns2amx.dll

and my plugins.ini
CODE
; AMX Mod plugins

admin.amx; admin base (required for any admin-related)
admincmd.amx; basic admin console commands
adminhelp.amx; help command for admin console commands
ps.amx; ps plugin
lerk2.amx  : re-enable spikes for lerks
teamres.amx  : show res for teammates
nscomandos.amx  : CS-like commands for ns
rate_manager.amx : rate manager for HL
psychosounds.amx : sound manager for HL
cache.amx  : file cacher for HL
rules.amx  : rules for NS

I pulled out the commented ones for brevity's sake

HLSS (if I remember correctly, which is pretty unlikely) drives sound through the in-game audio system. Most server administrators worth their salt use the speex audio codec now, because even at the highest bitrate its still like 1/2 of the miles codec. But the codec is very specifically designed for human speech frequencies, so when you try to pipe music in through it, it's gonna sound like a transformer singing with his head up his butt.

Anyone whos wanting to know how to enable speex rather than miles, put this in your server.cfg

sv_voicecodec voice_speex
sv_voicequality 5

For a chart for people who dont believe me..

sv_voicequality 1 - 2.4kbps - 7.5% of Miles
sv_voicequality 2 - 6.0kbps - 18.75% of Miles
sv_voicequality 3 - 8.0kbps - 25% of Miles
sv_voicequality 4 - 11.2kbps - 35% of Miles
sv_voicequality 5 - 15.2kbps - 47.5% of Miles

I'd only suggest using 4 or 5 for the voice quality, anything lower than that can get pretty funky.. But even on very low powered CPUs (500mhz), the conversion cost in CPU cycles is so negligable it's pretty much unnoticable.

And before you go try, sv_voicequality is a setting for speex, not miles, so they don't work under miles.
+Quote Post
Lyran
post Dec 16 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Wow thanks again guys. Thanks link and Lord biggrin.gif

Ok, let's see...

The problem I had, not being able to play particular tracks, was indeed because those specific tracks were just too long. Not to mention I also forgot to reformat them to a .WAV file, at 8000 Hz, 16-Bit Mono. Not that's done, and the sounds and tracks work properly.

As for H-L Sound Selector, I forgot about it. I downloaded it, and I'll eventually try it. I'll set my voicequality, etc, and I'll see if it'd be worth it. But for now, I'll stick with AMX and Psychosounds, and mess with em'.

Finally, the problem I have with the game pausing continues.

I created a server, and then I typed pausable 0. The command worked...but it worked so well that my screen actually...paused. laugh.gif ...argh sad.gif

Seems strange to me, since the command clearly asks not to pause. But it "freezes" my screen to where I looked at when I accessed the console and typed in the command.

It's paused, but I can still access the console and the main menu (via Esc).

If I type pausable 1, then it 'un-pauses' and I can move my character around. blink.gif

I found that funny at first but now it's just plain frustrating Grrr mad.gif

Is there any way around that issue other than relying on "pausable 0" command ?

Thanks again guys for everything.

Peace !
+Quote Post
Sandman[SA]
post Dec 16 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #12

RCBot Waypointer

Member No.: 19

In a listenserver, (LAN) when you open your console, you pause the server. This is a known fact and CAN NOT be prevented. Recommend using a dedicated server instead.
+Quote Post
LordSkitch
post Dec 16 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #13

I cuddle with my bots.

With Psychosounds theres no real limitation on the encoding of it, fun.wav is 11khz, 8 bit mono, laser3.wav is 22khz 8 bit mono, ive got some that are 16 bit, one is a wav encoded with the mp3 codec, at CD quality sound, as far as length goes, long wav's piss off people, so I don't use em.
+Quote Post
Lyran
post Dec 17 2004, 12:08 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

ohmy.gif

Didn't know a Listen server always paused (being technically a fact) when accessing the console. Sorry, I'm not used to host games. I'm currently downloading N-S Beta 5 Dedicated Server, so I'll install it later today, and I'll try it. I also presume there's a bunch a nice options with a Dedicated Server, like map switching, voting, kicking (yihaa !) and such. Time will tell.

And, LordSkitch, yeah I think I noticed that Psychosounds doesn't really have a limit as far as the sound quality goes. But the length surely play a role.

So far, I've only been able to play sounds or tracks less than 5.1 Mb in size. Maybe it's just a coincidence but I would say so, unless proven false. That 5.1 Mb track is, in its default format (44000 Hz, 16-Bit, Stereo) 13.2 Mb. So now it's 11000 Hz, 16-Bit, Mono (reducing its quality and size) and it plays fine. Hum...maybe it's just me. Bleh...anyway, just a detail.

Well, thanks a LOT guys for all the information.

But if I need some more help I'll be back and I'll ask tongue.gif

Peace !
+Quote Post
LordSkitch
post Dec 17 2004, 12:19 AM
Post #15

I cuddle with my bots.

LOL well when you do that, anyone who joins the server is going to have to download a 5 meg file, and even if youve got like a 400k up pipe, its gonne take like a full minute to download it, taking all of the bandwidth, but HLDS only allows like a 8k/s upload max, so it'd take like 10 minutes to download...
+Quote Post
Lyran
post Dec 17 2004, 01:04 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Yes, yes I'm back.

Ok...I've just tested a game, a Listen Server, with a friend.

I asked him if he could hear the track when I type banana. I've assigned the famous Banana Phone track to the word "banana", so when I type it...well, you get the point.

The thing is...he couldn't hear it. BUT...but, even more weird...if HE typed banana, then the track would start again, over the already playing one, ONLY FOR ME. So basically, he if he typed any words I assigned to a track, the track(s) in question would play for me, and for me only.

Now...I presume my friend would then also need AMX ? Why wasn't it possible to make him hear the track ? Need some details here. Because my goal with Psyhosounds and...well, my goal with this whole thread concept was to make it so OTHERS could hear what I wanted them to hear. No just me. Or else I could just start-up either WinAmp or WMP in background and start my playlist, and then play N-S while the tracks play in order. That's not what I want.

My lack of knownlegde about making plugins work and servers things and stuff like that doesn't help me anyway that's for sure. And I'm sorry about such basic questions maybe for some of you here. But with time I guess I'll understand.

I can get things to work...but there's always one thing, somewhere, screwing things up. sad.gif

Also...again, related to the Listen Server pausing problem....

I can understand that the game pauses for everyone if I, myself, am accessing the console. Nothing to say about that now. But...why does it pause when others either join or leave ? That still doesn't make any sense to me.

And...yes, finally...

I finished downloading N-S Beta 5 Dedicated Server. And...hummm. I don't know what to do. All I have in that .RAR file is an "ns" folder. And in that folder is contained ALL the very same files I have than my actual ns folder in Steam. The Maps, the Sounds...Models, Music, Dlls...everything is the same. Except that I got more Maps, more Sounds and Models (stuff I eventually downloaded over time after joining bunch of servers here and there).

What should I do ? I mean...I can't just replace my actual ns folder with the new one. Or I would have to manually take the extra stuff I have that is not in the new folder, cut it, and paste it in the new one, and then delete the old one. I mean...I don't feel like doing that. At least not today.

And...not only that but, also, after creating a Dedicated Server for Half-Life 2: Deatmatch (come to think of it) a few days ago, all I had was a window in my Desktop, telling me stats about what was going on in my Server. Like, who is playing, what's their ping, the bandwith, the time left, etc, etc.

How would I actually JOIN a current game in my Dedicated Server (that is either for Natural-Selection or H-L 2: Deathmatch, I presume it's the same concept) ?

Yet, thanks again all.
+Quote Post
link2002
post Dec 17 2004, 01:17 AM
Post #17

RCBot Fan

QUOTE (Sandman[SA)
,Dec 16 2004, 09:45 PM] In a listenserver, (LAN) when you open your console, you pause the server.? This is a known fact and CAN NOT be prevented.? Recommend using a dedicated server instead.

yes, it can be prevented tongue.gif

you only need to change "pausable 1" to "pausable 0" in your listenserver.cfg

EDIT:

QUOTE (Lyran)
...he couldn't hear it...

Does your friend have the sound?

He needs the sound too.

EDIT2:

QUOTE (Lyran)
...after creating a Dedicated Server for Half-Life 2: Deatmatch (come to think of it) a few days ago, all I had was a window in my Desktop, telling me stats about what was going on in my Server. Like, who is playing, what's their ping, the bandwith, the time left, etc, etc.

It is because Dedicated Servers are only for hosting the game, not for playing, if you want to play and host you need to use Listen Server.

This post has been edited by link2002: Dec 17 2004, 01:36 AM
+Quote Post
Lyran
post Dec 17 2004, 01:44 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

ohmy.gif I'm going to try that after posting this.

Does your friend have the sound?

He needs the sound too.

ohmy.gif Oh my... wacko.gif

It is because Dedicated Servers are only for hosting the game, not for playing, if you want to play and host you need to use Listen Server.

Then Dedicated Servers are quite useless to me. I want to play games, not just test stuff or host it. It's evil I say. Evil ! ph34r.gif
+Quote Post
link2002
post Dec 17 2004, 01:46 AM
Post #19

RCBot Fan

QUOTE (Lyran @ Dec 16 2004, 11:44 PM)
ohmy.gif Oh my... wacko.gif

i already know my english is bad =(
+Quote Post
LordSkitch
post Dec 17 2004, 05:38 AM
Post #20

I cuddle with my bots.

laugh.gif Most of that is completely left-field stuff.

It's better to run a dedicated server than a listen server, no matter what, even if it's on the same computer. That way Your client isn't responsible for anything (IE bringing down the console pausing the server)

The reason he couldn't hear it is because he doesn't have the file.

Psychosounds just plays the sounds, you need the sound cache plugin to make the clients download the files. So, don't be using entire tracks of music. Usually when people do that, they just get muted, and waste the server's bandwidth. So as for sizes, use like 100k files max, and only a few seconds long.

Sandman[SA] ,Dec 16 2004, 09:45 PM
In a listenserver, (LAN) when you open your console, you pause the server.  This is a known fact and CAN NOT be prevented.  Recommend using a dedicated server instead.

No, it can't be prevented, Sandy's right. The game pauses itself when you bring down the console by design. "pausable" is to prevent other clients from pausing the server.

AMX is a server-side plugin, nobody needs it but the server. It's an administration utility/front end. You can do amx_kick, amx_ban, amx_slap etc as shortcuts from the rcon console stuff.

Sorry if my stuffs a little scattered, took some sleeping pills, got an earlierish day tomorrow. wacko.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:55 AM