> Update_Ladder_Time
Lyran
post Jun 1 2004, 07:40 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 295

Heya smile.gif

I'd like to know what's the best known number to put the "update_ladder_time" setting at ?

I think the default is -1.0 (Mine is at -1.0 anyway). About any maps I play in, RCBots tend to stick on a ladder a very, very long time. Also, when they do successfully go down a ladder from an higher level, they tend to come back right after and climb it up again.

I've been playing to do some aiming tests for them (With the recent new HPB_bot.dll) and waypointing stuff...but only recently I've played a complete game with WBots and I noticed what I mentioned in the above paragraph.

Perhaps "max_path_revs" and/or "max_update_vision_revs" settings can play a role on how they update their angle on a ladder ?

I know RCBots aren't perfect at climbing nor going down a ladder. No Bots at all are, anyway. But I'm sure they were doing better than that before. I must have changed something somewhere.

I'd appreciate comments and/or suggestions on which settings I could change, which could help RCBots deal with them (ladders) more easily.

Thanks for your time biggrin.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chichou
post Jun 1 2004, 01:50 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 305

as said in the readme, the update_ladder_time, sets how often the bot will change angles when on a ladder, and when it is -1, it means there is no update, that's maybe why the bots get stuck... personnally, i set it to 0.1, so that they update it from time to time, and i think it is not bad.

maybe a way to get bots to climb ladders would be to watch players climbing ladders (that's when they get close to a ladder waypoint), record how they do this in a sort of experience file, but only if they get to the other waypoint : it would tell bots how to get from a waypoint to another. Learning would be disabled once the bot manages to climb without problems. The only problem is the CPU usage but it may work. What do you think of that Cheeseh ?
+Quote Post
Cheeseh
post Jun 1 2004, 04:21 PM
Post #3

Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

readme smile.gif

nothing to do with CPU usage

optimal value is 0 so that bots always face the target

but sometimes the bots are really jerky so put the time up so they dont keep jerking about very quickly!

But if you make it too high they can fall off the ladder more easily because they haven't tuned their angle properly
+Quote Post
Lyran
post Jun 1 2004, 11:23 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 295

Ok thanks guys biggrin.gif

I've set the update_ladder_time to 0.0, and it's already way better. I'll just play around with the setting and set it at different numbers until I like it, just a matter of trial-and-error.
+Quote Post
Chichou
post Jun 2 2004, 03:32 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 305

The only problem is the CPU usage

concerning this : i was talking about the idea of recording player movement for the special waypoints. For example:

-when player gets on a ladder, or wall stick, or something else waypoint
-record position, angles and history of command submitted (go forward, back, left, right) every 1/10th sec. until player gets to another similar waypoint (unless it takes too long, which means the player is a noob)
- if it took less time than the recorded path, save it (but compare to player speed, since some classs go faster than others)
- when the recorded path is efficient enough, mark it not to be recorded

-when bots want to go the same way, just execute recorded commands (with some adjustments due to their speed).

What do you think of that idea ? It is crap or does it make sense ? huh.gif
The same thing may be used for commanders...
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:48 PM