Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Waypointing: need help please, This is SOOoo.. much harder than WB
Depot
post Mar 17 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 91

I have waypointed scores of custom maps for Whichbot so I'm hardly a noob at this (can do an average map in under 15 minutes). But let me tell you, this system here is a LOAD of work.

The main issue I have atm is multiple paths being created from 1 waypoint. I began my work in the base on a mvm map and started laying waypoints, and before I got to the door there were multiple paths from 1 waypoint in several different areas.

What is the menu sequence for dropping waypoints, and the paths going from point a, to point b, to point c, and so on? blink.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Depot
post Mar 17 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #2

Heck, can't get them to behave right on MvM anyways. sad.gif
+Quote Post
LordSkitch
post Mar 17 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #3

I cuddle with my bots.

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 291

Disable the automatic pathway generation: rcbot pathwaypoint disable

It's a handy feature a lot of the time, but in tight quarters or in rooms and such it can be a pain, making star paths to 190283 other waypoints. Then you can manually create paths using the commands

rcbot pathwaypoint create1 and rcbot pathwaypoint create2, use 1 on where you want the source, 2 on the destination.

You can use remove1 and remove2 in the same fashion to get rid of paths you don't want.

As for waypoint placement.. just put them in spots easy for the bots to negotiate (away from walls and such) Sandy will say using 90? turns in the maps just is death for the bots, I think it works absolutely perfect, (and have demos to prove it) and have no evidence to the contrary other than him making fun of me tongue.gif Despite the fact of faster pathway resolution and lower CPU usage, I think it gives the bots a little bot-esque flair, after all.. THEY'RE BOTS!

And you might go looking for the ladder tricks, there's a lot of voodoo to get them to use ladders right... I think most of the newer tricks were disucssed in the beta5 waypoints in the NS waypoints forum down further below this one..
+Quote Post
Sandman[SA]
post Mar 17 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #4

RCBot Waypointer

Member No.: 19

That's good advice skitchy but I normally leave pathwaypoint enabled for larger areas and then disable it for tighter quarters like near difficult intersections and near lifts, ladders and vents.

I have also noticed the rcbots take vents a little differently then whichbots. Whichbots tend to overshoot direct downward 90 degree angles when they have a full head of steam so placing the waypoint ever so slightly past the outside end of the vent works great for them. Rcbot is a little more exact so I have found that placing the same end of tunnel waypoint as for wb is find but instead of forcing rcbot strait down the wall, make another waypoint on the ground at near a 45 dregree angle with a 1 way outward path.
+Quote Post
LordSkitch
post Mar 17 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #5

I cuddle with my bots.

With the vents and such, if it's like a wallstick to a vent, I do em the same as ladders unless complex angles are involved, one waypoint directly below the vent, one in the vent recessed about a foot... for complex angles... well you gotta sink them into the walls and such, I can get em to work, but I've done like 91283 of them and I just have a feel for it now...

Oh thats right.. I got the feel. cool.gif

By the way, if you're waypointing vents, make sure you make an alternate path out using normal waypoints or crouches, because if a skulk/lerk goes up a vent, and gestates to a gorge or whatever, or a marine gets in a tunnel or what have you, if the only way out is back past that wallstick, they wont get out. They'll be trapped, pathless and alone, sobbing quietly in the corner... so make a path in using wallsticks or whatever you need to get in, and a path out using plain jane-waypoints.

As for the pathwaypoints, I usually leave it enabled until it messes up a path I'm tryin to create, then I'm just too lazy to reenable it cause I'm usually a skulk when waypointing just for speed and ease of travel..
+Quote Post
Sandman[SA]
post Mar 17 2005, 11:04 PM
Post #6

RCBot Waypointer

Member No.: 19

I like to reserve waypoint tagging untill I complete an area but yeah, rcbot jp equiped marines, skulks and lerks will follow wallstick waypoint paths so yes again, you have to tag all vent waypoints as "crouch" so jp marines can get in and out of them. You only need to tag the second waypoint up of each climb as wallstick.

Like this example.
Yellow = wallstick
Blue = standerd wpt
Red = crouch
Black = pathway

? ? |
? ? |
? ? |
? ? |
? ? |
?? / \
|? ?    |

Or you can combine "crouch" and "wallstick" as the same waypoint for shorter runs. This does work.

Also keep in mind that "wallstick" waypoints for rcb translate to "jump" waypoints for wb. And for some odd reason, rcbot's use wb's "door" waypoints fairly reliably at buttons but rcbot has no tag for this. blink.gif
+Quote Post
LordSkitch
post Mar 17 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #7

I cuddle with my bots.

Be careful when doubling waypoints.. a lot of times if you double crouch and wallstick waypoints, the skulks will continually fall down to the bottom cause they're trying to crouch...
+Quote Post
Gruuunt
post Mar 19 2005, 09:42 AM
Post #8

Advanced Moron

Group: Waypointers
Member No.: 143

For a kwik method just copy and rename your old whichbot waypoints (or any new ones you create:)

Change 'em from: .wpt to .rcw, and you will find all the paths are then single pathways like you are used to. Ladder waypoints normally stay the same, but you need to re-position them at the top as RcBot doesnt like them to far out. Door waypoints will have to be deleted and re-done again as that flag isn't picked up.

Use Sandy and Skitchys tips as well and you will find an easier life waypointing RcBot. cool.gif

BTW Depot how about scooting over to http://www.waypoint-world.com and upping some of your waypoints!
Same applies to any other waypointers for RcBot WhichBot etc, Sandy and me are already contributing there ph34r.gif
+Quote Post
LordSkitch
post Mar 19 2005, 09:55 AM
Post #9

I cuddle with my bots.

I've been too busy as of late to get any meaty waypointing done, but expect a new 3.0 pack around wednesday... WOO SPRING BREAK! WAYPOINTING!!
+Quote Post
Depot
post Mar 19 2005, 12:24 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (Gruuunt @ Mar 19 2005, 09:42 AM)
BTW Depot how about scooting over to http://www.waypoint-world.com and upping some of your waypoints!
Same applies to any other waypointers for RcBot WhichBot etc, Sandy and me are already contributing there ph34r.gif

I'm flattered you asked, but my waypointing thusfar has been restricted to Whichbot, and even then it's the most basic waypoints with no ladder or wall climbing etc. I just have to much goin on right now.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:35 PM