IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PROBLEM with (re)installation of Rcbot2 v0.76. Need help!
YuriFR
post Jan 26 2014, 08:47 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,318

PROBLEM with (re)installation of Rcbot2 v0.76. Need help!

[my apologies: using google translator...]

I have now one a SERIOUS PROBLEM with the process of Rcbot2 v0.76 (re)installation on my PC. I've done pretty much everything (I have read ALL the posts about "installation process" in this forum - see more details below)... but I can't solve alone!
Maybe this problem has already affected other people, users of Rcbot2 in this forum ...

Skip this part, (inside braces), if you're in a hurry:
[[ My brother caught a virus - PC that was giving me a lot of work to resolve soon after the battery of tests for Rcbot2 I had developed, the results of which were posted by me on: http://rcbot.bots-united.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1858 . The virus did not affect the Dod: Source nor Rcbot2. As I had formatted the computer in early January of this year (before the battery of tests), there were few programs installed (including the Dod: Source with Rcbot2 v0.76), so I decided to format the computer again to erase this virus more easily. This reinstall occurred recently, around 23 or 24 of January (2014).
I have already installed all the software that was on the PC before the virus (i keep everything on DVDs), and Dod:Source also - that works perfectly. The PC was again the same as it was before. But there is this problem now with Rcbot2 v0.76... (see below)]]

THE PROBLEM:

Now the game with bots works slowly, with many lags. Sometimes even few too "tooo" slow ... ! Occasionally he would go back to normal speed (I yet didn't understand why), when I restarted the application. I do not know whether or not interfere (to improve velocity), but always before I restart the Dod:S, I erased the files created automatically by bots waypoints, such as ".rcb" and others. I rebooted the Dod:S many and many times, drastically changing the configuration all parameters (see details below), and the number of bots, trying to reduce the maximum CPU usage. In most cases, without solving the problem of slow (lags). I calculate, more or less, the ratio of 5% to 10 % of success (normalization of speed) with respect to a corresponding rate of 95 % to 90 % of failure, ie: maintaining the problem of slowness (lags). Actually, I think that normalization of speed, when it occurred, was random, while I did not I found an explanation for this ...
4 COMMENTS about this: a) at the time, Dod: Source works at normal speed if I play against humans over the Internet (works the same way with the same speed as it was before the reformat), b) i note that the frequency (of times/tests) of slowness is MUCH MUCH HIGHER than the frequency verified to standards of speed, c) apparently none of the changes of the variables that I thought to be related(/ to be involved), changed this aspect "slowly game", reversing the rate of failures/success. These variables are existing configuration parameters inside the "rcbot2". d) The worst thing: I don't know which specific factor, and which cause is responsible for this slowness; finally: I can't figure out what's behind it ... if before reformatting, the speed was "normal".

IMPORTANT DETAILS:

1 - I notice that the "Rcbot2Installer.exe" does everything it should do: puts "HPB_Bot2.dll" inside the folder "...SteamApps\common\Day of Defeat Source\bin", the " rcbot2.vdf " file within the folder "SteamApps\common\Day of Defeat Source\dod\addons".
(1a) - However, I have (only) 2 internal physical Hard-Drives, and the Rcbot2Installer insists on creating a folder named "rcbot2" on my another internal HD, called "E:\", instead of using the "C:\" (and put this folder "rcbot2", for example on: "C:\Documents and Settings\YFR" - in wherein "YFR" would be the username). Even so, when the installer puts the folder "rcbot2" in HD "E:\", it will NOT put in subfolders, just leave it in "E:\" (it does not create sub-directories inside the "E:\", like on "C:\Documents and Settings\YFR"... ).
As I do not remember if this "phenomenon" ("putting a folder on HD 'E:\' ") happened before the reformat, I deleted and reinstalled several times Rcbot V0.76: but it always creates the folder "rcbot2" in "E:\", even though I not want or opt for that. As there was no other way out, whenever I modified some file in "E:\rcbot2", i made a copy and pasted artificially/manually on "C:\Documents and Settings\YFR\rcbot2", or vice versa (from "C:\...\YFR\rcbot2" to "E:\rcbot2"). With this procedure, wherever the files Rcbot seek to "read", he always load the same settings! Even with all this, Rcbot continued to present problems reported above...
(1b) - With the procedure described previously, "1a", i found that more likely, the game opens the settings that are in "C:\...\YFR\rcbot2", not on "E: \ rcbot2", this when I use the shortcuts from my desktop area, as described below (item 2). But if I use from the desktop the shortcut "RCBot2 Launcher", most likely the game opens the settings that are in "E:\rcbot2", not on "C:\...\YFR\rcbot2". I figured all this based on the behavior of RCBot2 Launcher, but I can not be absolutely sure because I do not know the "path" (directory) used by Rcbot2 within Dod:Source while it is being used...

2 - I created the shortcut to the game as explained in other posts on this forum, thus following: " 'C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe' applaunch 300 -novid -insecure" (to "Destination") and " 'C:\Program Files\Steam" (to "Start in"). I tried other variations, only to option "start in", sometimes leaving it blank and prays thus leaving: " 'C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Day of Defeat Source' ". With all these few changes the game ran, but showing the SAME SLOW BEHAVIOR reported above.

3 - I changed down (aiming to decrease the CPU usage) all configuration parameters i found on folders related to Rcbot2: files "config.ini" (on: "rcbot2\config\") and profiles ("1.ini", "2.ini" etc.) on "rcbot2\profiles\". The game with bots kept the slow behavior, reported before.

4 - If I use the "RCBot2 Launcher" to open the Dod:Source, working with bots of Rcbot2, the same problem of slow (lags) keeps happening. Even if all settings are exactly the same in both folders "C:\...\YFR\rcbot2" and "E:\rcbot2"...

5 - One request: if the reported problem is not connected to the "confusion" of Rcbot2Installer (or of RCBot2 Launcher or even of Rcbot-system inside Dod:S) between the folders (directories): "C:\...\YFR\rcbot2" and "E:\rcbot2", i ask How do I fix this too? How do i make RCBot2 Launcher install and use the folder "rcbot2" on directory "C:\Documents and Settings\YFR\rcbot2"? What did I do wrong, if I have any influence in this all process ... (ie: the Rcbot2Installer prefer the directory "E:\" instead of "C:\" to install the "rcbot2" folder) ?

Postscript: I'll wait for a higher volume of replies to my other post (link: http://rcbot.bots-united.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1858 ), to i start post responses there.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
genmac
post Jan 27 2014, 08:55 AM
Post #2

RCBot Guru

Group: Waypointers
Member No.: 2,098

When your games suddenly goes slow or laggy try cleaning your pc form malwares and stuff...I use SPybot Search and Destroy...hehe what a cool app name ah? This cleaner did wonder on my rig and hope it will also
clean yours really well from all the crap we get online that creeps in unnoticed.

Btw what are your pc specs and OS?

Also check your other games if their laggy to just to be sure if it's a global issue.
+Quote Post
YuriFR
post Jan 27 2014, 04:57 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(genmac @ Jan 27 2014, 06:55 AM) *

When your games suddenly goes slow or laggy try cleaning your pc form malwares and stuff...I use SPybot Search and Destroy...hehe what a cool app name ah? This cleaner did wonder on my rig and hope it will also
clean yours really well from all the crap we get online that creeps in unnoticed.
Btw what are your pc specs and OS?
Also check your other games if their laggy to just to be sure if it's a global issue.

It is not a global issue. As I said: "Dod:Source works [currently] at the normal speed if I play against humans over the Internet (works the same way with the same speed as it was before the reformat)". Otherwise I could not make the battery of tests for the another post ...
I (re)installed another game, and no problems with it (as it was before too).

As for malwares, can not be, since I reformatted and there was not enough time for any recontamination. I use "Spybot Search and Destroy", antivirus, firewalls, and "Combofix" (i spent yesterday). Combofix found nothing.

A central fact to try to understand this problem, is: that before reformatting, the Dod:Source with Rc-bots worked perfectly, on the same computer (with the same programs and configurations)! And more: even now, after reformatting, Dod:Source with Rc-bots ever worked, sometimes, with normal speed, like previously presented ... but with a much lower frequency than before (repeating what I said, with an estimated 5% to 10%, therefore: maximum of 1 on 100 to cases frequency-tests, whereas before, the normal speed was constant/standard, ie: 100 on 100)

Another point is: now, the installer also insists on creating a "rcbot2" folder in HD "E: \". Whenever i deleted files of Rcbot2 to reinstall again, soon afterwards, he always creates this folder "rcbot2" in HD "E: \". I did not choose this ... I thought it might be a "addiction" in something like"prefetch" (choice of paths), but even if so, there was no option to select this directory, at installation time ... I think there are possibility that the Rcbot2Installer does not work properly in cases of PCs with 2 or more units of HD, with regard to the allocation of directories (to put folder "rcbot2"). But that is another point that may not have directly bearing on the problem of slowness...
I contemplated too the possibility that for some mysterious reason, the Rcbot2 being rotated 2 times at same time. But only a very understood person can know (maybe like Cheeseh), because I took the necessary steps to avoid it (I read the posts regarding the risk of accessing the shortcut with the command line: "-applaunch 300 -insecure +plugin_load '..\bin\HPB_Bot2' ", simultaneously with the operation of the file "...\dod\addons\rcbot2.vdf").

Thanks for the help, genmac ! smile.gif

Postscript: I'll wait for a higher volume of replies to my other post (link: http://rcbot.bots-united.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1858 ), to i start post responses there.

+Quote Post
madmax2
post Jan 27 2014, 09:02 PM
Post #4

RCBot Guru

Member No.: 2,162

Hi YuriFR,

Sounds like it's not a malware/virus, although there are some that are hard to detect & remove, the "zeroaccess botnet" is very bad for re-infection, it would eat CPU/resources. But i'll assume it's not that, since you have done all the basics, and I have spybot S&D too, it's a great app... smile.gif

Yeah, I would think you have 2 separate issues going on there. Not sure I can help any with the 2nd one cause I don't have 2 hard drives in my dods/rcbot2 PC. But the rcbot2 installer does attempt to install to both the steampipe & non-steampipe locations, but I would think it would only go to the drive you point the installer to? What happens if you just delete the second (E:) install to the recycle bin, does the install on c: still work? At any rate, I don't think this is related to your speed problem.

The SPEED PROBLEM:

Could you post a dod:s demoplayer demo of the problem? Not sure I have a clear picture of what is happening? Are bots just slower than normal, or is the bots running speed vary widely, or does the game lag & hitch badly? A demo might be useful. If you do post one, please zip it & keep it under a 2 megabyte, i'm on dialup, yuk.... ohmy.gif

Just a couple possibilities...

#1. I haven't been on-line steam since dec 15, so their may of been an unpublished update to dod:s? You might want to check the rcbot_runplayer_cmd_dods setting in the config.ini? If wrong, it can can cause speed issues as well as crashes. Mine is at 417, but that may not be right if there was an update? Anyone else know for sure?

#2. If your PC is mulicore, you might try running the game on one core, to see what happens? Yeah, I know you should not have to, its a multicore game. Better yet, turn of any power saving feature that can effect CPU, this has been known to cause speed problems in games, even newer games.... So the CPU can run wide open, newer CPU's can vary their clock speed to conserve power & run cooler.

#3. Along with a demo, maybe post your rcbot config.ini, make sure there are no commas in place of decimal points, this has happened before...

Maybe I miss understood? Is this speed problem intermittent, ie. 80% of the time the game/maps plays normally & 20% the game does not play normal? Or doe's it occur every time you play a map? If the problem is intermittent, then #1 and #3 won't be the cause, but #2 still could be (CPU gets hot then, cooling feature of CPU activates and whole game runs slow motion for a while, but may speed up again once CPU cools)... If the problem happens every time you play, then 1,2, or 3 could be the cause...

Remember, BOTS are CPU intensive, the more bots, the HIGHER the CPU Temperature... So other games may not run as HOT. And when you play on-line without bots, the CPU will run cooler... When you reinstalled your PC operating system, the CPU controls went back to defaults, ie. power saving & cooling settings...

Thats all I can think of right now, good luck... wink.gif

madmax2
+Quote Post
genmac
post Jan 28 2014, 09:37 AM
Post #5

RCBot Guru

he's probably double loading rcbot2 dll.

try running it with just the -insecure on the launcher and use a vdf to
run rcbot2.

I personally don't use the installer I prefer doing it manually so files are in the right place and stuff.
Try doing that. I've posted somewhere here how to do that in details.

also dods might updated again so that might create lags bec. of compatibility issues reason why
I always keep some my dods copies totally outdated when rcbot2 is working well since I rarely play online.

+Quote Post
madmax2
post Jan 28 2014, 09:55 AM
Post #6

RCBot Guru

QUOTE(genmac @ Jan 28 2014, 01:37 AM) *

he's probably double loading rcbot2 dll.

try running it with just the -insecure on the launcher and use a vdf to
run rcbot2.

I personally don't use the installer I prefer doing it manually so files are in the right place and stuff.
Try doing that. I've posted somewhere here how to do that in details.

also dods might updated again so that might create lags bec. of compatibility issues reason why
I always keep some my dods copies totally outdated when rcbot2 is working well since I rarely play online.

Hey genmac,

How U doing guy...

Yeah, you could be right, it sounded like he knew not to do that?? but I think the launcher adds the -insecure automatically.... I'm not sure if it is even possible to double load with the launcher? rolleyes.gif Yeah, I prefer to launch from the steam tray icon... and do configs manually... wink.gif

Yeah, me too...
+Quote Post
genmac
post Jan 28 2014, 10:19 AM
Post #7

RCBot Guru

Yo max! I'm ok and getting older again be next month lol!
How about you? got the new car?
+Quote Post
madmax2
post Jan 29 2014, 04:12 AM
Post #8

RCBot Guru

QUOTE(genmac @ Jan 28 2014, 02:19 AM) *

Yo max! I'm ok and getting older again be next month lol!
How about you? got the new car?

Have a Happy Birthday old man... wink.gif I'll tip a brew in your honor... tongue.gif ... was getting thirsty anyways...heh heh...

I wish a new car biggrin.gif .... but just putting band-aids on it right now... unsure.gif... it could explode at any time ohmy.gif

Sorry, off-topic...
+Quote Post
genmac
post Jan 29 2014, 08:46 AM
Post #9

RCBot Guru

haha tnx man!

at OP...I can give you a copy of my easy to copy paste ready to use rcbot2 folder and stuff that might fix your lag problem.
+Quote Post
YuriFR
post Jan 29 2014, 12:40 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(genmac @ Jan 29 2014, 06:46 AM) *

haha tnx man!
at OP...I can give you a copy of my easy to copy paste ready to use rcbot2 folder and stuff that might fix your lag problem.

You refer to me, mr. "genmac"? I have not tried all the possible solutions that have been answered here... but yes you can send me these files, perhaps they might solve the problem. After testing these files I will return to post a "feed-back", more later. If the file is big, I ask you to compress these files (.zip, .rar, .7z etc..), if possible.

You can send the file in several ways:
1 - Attaching a file to a reply in this forum (eg: neste post).
2 - Sending me a private message through the forum, with the attached file, or an external link to it
3 - Leaving some reference to contact you (eg: email), via a private message sent to me, in this forum (I think it's safe to do so). In doing so, I pass you my contact, to you to send the file to me (privately).
4 - Or another idea any ...

Thank you for everything! smile.gif
+Quote Post
genmac
post Jan 30 2014, 09:38 AM
Post #11

RCBot Guru

man you gotta stop posting like that it's getting really annoying now.
we're not a bunch of forum noobs here you know.

here's your files...GOODLUCK!!!
https://www.mediafire.com/?sh6hj6w4y1orxyi
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:40 PM