> Svencoop 4.8 & rcbots crashing, bad crash problem just after adding bots
madmax2
post Aug 7 2013, 09:12 PM
Post #1

RCBot Guru

Group: Waypointers
Member No.: 2,162

Hey Cheeseh, I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear... sad.gif

I just installed sc4.8 & the bots yesterday, and there is a serious crash problem now. I PMed w00tguy123 about it, and he confirms he is having the crash problem too, on the maps I list below, plus others...

Here is an edited part of my PM to him:

-----------------------------------------
I can verify there is a crash problem with sc4.8 and rcbot. The game crashes to the desktop with a repeating sound loop and the following windows dialog...

CODE
The instruction at "0x0cd93a89" referenced memory at "0x000000cc". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program.

Then I click OK and the PC works normally afterwards....

So far, I get 2 memory locations for the instruction location, [edit] I get this one more now for some reason?... It's very consistant...

CODE
The instruction at "0x0ce13a89" referenced memory at "0x000000cc". The memory could not be "read".

I'm on winXPsp3.. I'm fully updated on steam as of yesterday...

So far I've checked 7 maps, multiple times, and get the crash very soon after adding the first bot, usually within seconds of adding a bot. Crashes on:

murks
crystal 1 & 2
intruder
activist2
activist3

I went all the way through activist 1, without a problem. I even played some. Then after a map change to activist2, it crashed within seconds of a bot spawning. I reloaded activist2 and it happened again...

Before I installed sc4.8, I moved my sc4.7 install to another location. I can quickly switch back to sc4.7, and the bots work perfectly on the same maps... This is the way I normally upgrade my HL mods with rcbot, by editing the nessesary files (liblist.gam, server.cfg, etc...) and copying the addons (metamod) folder over to the new mod version, so i'm sure it's not an install error on my part...
-----------------------------------------

It is not an intermitant crash on most maps I've checked, so far... I did some further investigation this morning with a surprizing result. Before I get into that, I want to add that crystal is a good map to see the crash on , cause it is always within a second or 2 of spawning the first bot (intruder might be the same). In murks & crystal2, the bots sometimes can go a few steps, before the crash.

Okay, here are the things I tried this morning. I have been testing this mostly with the latest rcbot dll (rcbot_mm_sc47_3.7z) and metamod-p-1.21p37. So first I tried the original rcbot sc4.7 dll (RCBot1_SC47_release_dll.zip), no change, same crash. Next I switched back to metamod-p-1.19p32, again no change.

So, since i had the rcbot sc4.6 dll handy (rcbot_mm_SC46_debug.zip), I thought I might as well try that too, and to my surprize the crashing seemed to stop, for a while!!!

I was able to play crystal past the underwater part, up to the first set of "problem" ceiling mini-turrets, without any crashes, 10+ minutes, then I ended the test. After a short test on crystal2 without a crash, I loaded intruder. I played intruder past the big lift room, past one of the side routes where a bot press a console button to open a new area/door. We back track to the main path, where I got shot up with 1% health left, so I retreated to the side route, a bot was coming towards me, I quickly spun the mouse wheel to select medkit at the same time bringing up the menu to call medic.. It was about there I got the same crash with the rcbot 4.6 debug dll... This all took about 10 minutes too.

But I should add, this needs more testing (rcbot 4.6 dll with sc4.8), it may be a very intermitant crash with the rcbot 4.6 dll. This could of been the same very very intermitant crash I was getting on sc4.7 with the sc4.7 dll's? I didn't report it because it was so very intermitant, it could take you days just to duplicate the crash... And most of the time I was waypointing at the same time, so i just shrugged it off as unimportant...

I will try a couple more tests today, with the rcbot 4.6 dll & sc4.8 maps, to see if the crash on intruder was just one of those freak intermitant crashes I was getting before? I'm not sure if that would help you find the problem or not? I was just thinking if the rcbot 4.6 dll is much more stable than the rcbot 4.7 dll's in sc4.8, then you could look at the code change's you made back then (4.6 to 4.7 rcbot), and it might help you pinpoint the problem?

I want to do some rcbot2/dods stuff today, so i'll try more testing on SC later today, if time allows... I just wanted to get this bug reported, so others can give feedback too...

Also, w00tguy123 thought the crash might possibly be related to entity changes made in sc4.8, but he wasn't sure about that?

max
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
madmax2
post Aug 7 2013, 11:36 PM
Post #2

RCBot Guru

Okay, a bit more info... I went back to testing the latest version of rcbot on sc4.8...

Most Importantly I may of discovered another clue? On crystal and intruder, since they crash very quickly, within a second of adding a bot, I removed the rcw's from the waypoints folder. I was able to run both maps, with bots running around randomly fighting enemies, for several minutes each, without crashing, then I exited normally from the game... I put the rcw's back in the waypoints folder, entered each map & resaved the waypoints in sc4.8. But saving the rcw's didn't stop the crashing...

If the game is not crashing, without rcbot rcw's for the maps, could that indicate a conflict in the rcbot waypoint system???

===================================================
Just additional info to add to first post...

Another memory address popped up in the dialog box, seems like the address is only consistant until I restart my PC, or during that round of testing, not sure? I'm getting this address now...

The instruction at "0x0d113a89" referenced memory at "0x000000cc". The memory could not be "read".

I just did a few more 1 minute tests on other maps and these maps crash quickly too...

abandoned - crash
afrikakorps1 - crash
BlackMesaEPF - crash

auspices - the bot was stuck on shooting at the wall at the beginning of the map, it did not crash though. I don't think they were doing this on this map in 4.7, I know they were not in sc4.6...

Jumpers - did not crash inside a minute, but I stopped the test soon after that...
+Quote Post
madmax2
post Aug 12 2013, 12:05 AM
Post #3

RCBot Guru

Just a bump to front... wink.gif
+Quote Post
Cheeseh
post Aug 12 2013, 02:55 AM
Post #4

Admin

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(madmax2 @ Aug 12 2013, 01:05 AM) *

Just a bump to front... wink.gif

right now i'm just downloading the latest svencoop and I gave sniper a message, will wait and see
+Quote Post
madmax2
post Aug 12 2013, 06:37 PM
Post #5

RCBot Guru

Okay, thanks Cheeseh...

Last night I tested a few of the crashing maps above^ with the rcbot 4.6 debug dll (in sc4.8).

I was able to play all of crystal2, activist2, and activist3, without crashing!

Intruder crashed right after I pressed a console button, while the animation of a door opening was playing...5-10 minutes into the map... about the same area as before with rcbot 4.6!

Instant crash when bot entered blackmesaEPF.

With the rcbot 4.6 dll, the crash's seems less frequent, and effects fewer maps. But with any of the rcbot dll's, the crashing doesn't "feel" intermittent. Crash's seem to be consistent within the same locations of the maps...

Anyways, i'm not sure if this is useful, since its not the current rcbot release I was using, but I thought it might indicate some code change from rcbot-4.6 to rcbot-4.7, might have something to do with it? But maybe not, since it still does crash on some maps?

max
+Quote Post
Cheeseh
post Aug 13 2013, 01:56 AM
Post #6

Admin

I tried it, it "crashed" when I died while playing with bots on afrikakorps. The problem is, it didn't break in the debugger, it's as it the exception was handled and didn't let me check it and didn't leave a stack trace

an example output from the console:
First-chance exception at 0xc5177c93 in hl.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0xc5177c93.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\crashhandler.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamerrorreporter.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamerrorreporter.exe
Starting minidump reporter process
'hl.exe': Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\apphelp.dll', No symbols loaded.
Missing shutdown function for Sys_InitAuthentication() : Sys_ShutdownAuthentication()
Missing shutdown function for Host_Init( &host_parms ) : Host_Shutdown()
Missing shutdown function for Sys_InitLauncherInterface() : Sys_ShutdownLauncherInterface()
Missing shutdown function for Sys_InitMemory() : Sys_ShutdownMemory()
Missing shutdown function for Sys_Init() : Sys_Shutdown()
Missing shutdown function for FileSystem_Init(basedir, (void *)filesystemFactory) : FileSystem_Shutdown()
Missing shutdown function for Sys_InitArgv( OrigCmd ) : Sys_ShutdownArgv()

I'm thinking if another metamod version might work better?
+Quote Post
madmax2
post Aug 13 2013, 02:18 AM
Post #7

RCBot Guru

Hey Cheeseh,

As far as running SC4.7 + rcbots in game, metamod-p-1.21p37 & metamod-p-1.19p32 have been the most stable versions I've tried, and SC requires metamod-p. But I guess you mean the debugger may be having trouble with one of these versions of metamod-p? Not sure what to suggest, but maybe try metamod-p-1.19p32, it was a good version for a long time?... unsure.gif

max
+Quote Post
madmax2
post Aug 13 2013, 05:23 AM
Post #8

RCBot Guru

@Cheeseh

Were you able to get in contact with sniper?
+Quote Post
Cheeseh
post Aug 14 2013, 06:23 AM
Post #9

Admin

QUOTE(madmax2 @ Aug 13 2013, 06:23 AM) *

@Cheeseh

Were you able to get in contact with sniper?

well, let's see if a dll will tell u smile.gif

rcbot SC4.8 here

http://rcbot.bots-united.com/downloads/rcb...C48_release.zip
+Quote Post
madmax2
post Aug 14 2013, 07:54 AM
Post #10

RCBot Guru

QUOTE(Cheeseh @ Aug 13 2013, 10:23 PM) *

well, let's see if a dll will tell u smile.gif

rcbot SC4.8 here

http://rcbot.bots-united.com/downloads/rcb...C48_release.zip

I guess that means yes... biggrin.gif

I installed rcbot 4.8, YIPEEEEE tongue.gif looks good so far... I ran it on three of the instant crash maps for 5+ minutes each, playing with 3 bots, no crash's... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I'll test it more tomarrow, didn't get much sleep last nite wptn with RCbot2...

So, what was the problem? I might not understand the answer though... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cheeseh
post Aug 14 2013, 08:03 AM
Post #11

Admin

I just needed updated c++ headers again like I did last time from snipes
+Quote Post
w00tguy123
post Aug 14 2013, 12:52 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,069

Nice work Cheeseh!
+Quote Post
madmax2
post Aug 14 2013, 06:15 PM
Post #13

RCBot Guru

QUOTE(w00tguy123 @ Aug 14 2013, 04:52 AM) *

Nice work Cheeseh!

Yes, bunch's of thankyou's... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Any chance you could take a second look at the inactive turrets, see w00tguy's suggestion here: http://rcbot.bots-united.com/forums/index....ost&p=12029

They still shoot inactive turrets in crystal... This may be the only map they do it on now, i donno unsure.gif ? I haven't had time to check/play more maps. I know your last fix for turrets worked for murks.. smile.gif ...

Grapple wpt? wink.gif (for the fun of it, when you have time)

Sorry, i gota ask this stuff when your attention is off rcbot2... tongue.gif

Thanks again man, what ever you feel like doing is ok by me... smile.gif

max
+Quote Post
Cheeseh
post Aug 15 2013, 04:25 AM
Post #14

Admin

QUOTE(madmax2 @ Aug 14 2013, 07:15 PM) *

Yes, bunch's of thankyou's... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Any chance you could take a second look at the inactive turrets, see w00tguy's suggestion here: http://rcbot.bots-united.com/forums/index....ost&p=12029

They still shoot inactive turrets in crystal... This may be the only map they do it on now, i donno unsure.gif ? I haven't had time to check/play more maps. I know your last fix for turrets worked for murks.. smile.gif ...

Grapple wpt? wink.gif (for the fun of it, when you have time)

Sorry, i gota ask this stuff when your attention is off rcbot2... tongue.gif

Thanks again man, what ever you feel like doing is ok by me... smile.gif

max

I'd love to make a grapple waypoint but the bot can only use a maximum of 32 waypoint types. In svencoop the bot already uses 32 waypoint types, so that means I've got to change the waypoint format which will be more tedious and less fun work! I'm thinking of adding reviving though
+Quote Post
madmax2
post Aug 15 2013, 06:34 AM
Post #15

RCBot Guru

Reviving would be cool smile.gif

No grapple, bummer sad.gif ... But it sounds like a lot of extra work... And you probably just can't remove a waypoint type & replace it with grapple, i guess? Say like replace the teleport wpt with grapple, then bots would be grappling to teleporters in all the existing rcws laugh.gif ...
+Quote Post
Cheeseh
post Aug 15 2013, 11:56 AM
Post #16

Admin

QUOTE(madmax2 @ Aug 15 2013, 07:34 AM) *

Reviving would be cool smile.gif

No grapple, bummer sad.gif ... But it sounds like a lot of extra work... And you probably just can't remove a waypoint type & replace it with grapple, i guess? Say like replace the teleport wpt with grapple, then bots would be grappling to teleporters in all the existing rcws laugh.gif ...

yeah, perhaps there is another way of getting bots to grapple, anyway I'll try to find a waypoint i can use

as for extra features, tried revive, but the bots just sat there next to me looking at me with their medkits, trying to hit secondary fire, but it didn't seem to work. don't know why not

Also trying to add sentry repairing when bots have wrenches, thinking of trying it out on that turret defense map, but can't remember the name of it, it had waves of zombies and a couple of barneys
+Quote Post
madmax2
post Aug 15 2013, 07:15 PM
Post #17

RCBot Guru

QUOTE(Cheeseh @ Aug 15 2013, 04:56 AM) *

yeah, perhaps there is another way of getting bots to grapple, anyway I'll try to find a waypoint i can use

Last nite I looked at the waypoint types, and I don't think "fly" is used for anything in SC? I've only used fly in NS, and lerks seem to prefer the wallsticks, although I think marines will use them too... There is also the defend wpt for tfc showing on the wpt menu... maybe one of these would work... whats pain/death for, i'm sure ive never used that, guess it tells bots of a danger location, something like that??

But seems like fly would be a safe replacement, and grapple seems like SC flying, so you wouldn't even need to change the name on the menu... smile.gif

Yeah, I don't think i've played that zombie map? The only zombie map i can think of is they hunger... I'll do a little searching, if i find something i'll let you know...

max

[edit]

Hey, i'm a guru now ph34r.gif , heh heh tongue.gif ....

Maybe it was overrun by nih, he mentions turrets here:

http://forums.svencoop.com/showthread.php/28093-Overrun

Or maybe the map you are looking for is one of these?

http://forums.svencoop.com/showthread.php/...-Spree-Map-Pack

Or city of the dead?

http://forums.svencoop.com/showthread.php/...f-the-Dead-BETA

Heh heh, man theres tons of zombie maps, some sound quite fun... smile.gif
+Quote Post
w00tguy123
post Aug 15 2013, 11:06 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,069

QUOTE(Cheeseh @ Aug 15 2013, 04:56 AM) *

as for extra features, tried revive, but the bots just sat there next to me looking at me with their medkits, trying to hit secondary fire, but it didn't seem to work. don't know why not

Reviving can be tricky at times. You have to be close enough, looking at the right spot, and have at least 50 medkit ammo. Oh and the secondary fire button has to be held down until the revive is complete.

Speaking of which, would it be difficult to make bots hold down the fire button longer when using the egon? Right now they just tap it for a fraction of a second and hardly inflict any damage. I wouldn't mind seeing them keep the beam going until they ran out of ammo or enemies.
+Quote Post
Cheeseh
post Aug 16 2013, 12:22 AM
Post #19

Admin

QUOTE(w00tguy123 @ Aug 16 2013, 12:06 AM) *

Reviving can be tricky at times. You have to be close enough, looking at the right spot, and have at least 50 medkit ammo. Oh and the secondary fire button has to be held down until the revive is complete.

Speaking of which, would it be difficult to make bots hold down the fire button longer when using the egon? Right now they just tap it for a fraction of a second and hardly inflict any damage. I wouldn't mind seeing them keep the beam going until they ran out of ammo or enemies.

cheers w00t guy I'll try reconfiguring the angle. The bots did manage to revive me once, but most of the time theres about five bots crouched down continuously looking at me with the medkits.

Last nite I looked at the waypoint types, and I don't think "fly" is used for anything in SC? I've only used fly in NS, and lerks seem to prefer the wallsticks, although I think marines will use them too... There is also the defend wpt for tfc showing on the wpt menu... maybe one of these would work... whats pain/death for, i'm sure ive never used that, guess it tells bots of a danger location, something like that??

But seems like fly would be a safe replacement, and grapple seems like SC flying, so you wouldn't even need to change the name on the menu... smile.gif

yes I also thought fly could be used but wasn't sure if it was used for anything else. I will try that.

pain/death is very useful for SC, especially in maps where there is something that kills you (e.g. electricity) and bpots need to flip a switch before they go through. It will prevent bots from killing themselves and look for alternative paths.

btw could you let me know if there are any good grapple maps?
+Quote Post
Cheeseh
post Aug 16 2013, 01:33 AM
Post #20

Admin

QUOTE(Cheeseh @ Aug 16 2013, 01:22 AM) *

cheers w00t guy I'll try reconfiguring the angle. The bots did manage to revive me once, but most of the time theres about five bots crouched down continuously looking at me with the medkits.
yes I also thought fly could be used but wasn't sure if it was used for anything else. I will try that.

pain/death is very useful for SC, especially in maps where there is something that kills you (e.g. electricity) and bpots need to flip a switch before they go through. It will prevent bots from killing themselves and look for alternative paths.

btw could you let me know if there are any good grapple maps?

never mind, got them grappling, downloaded a map called sc_grapplejump, the bots managed to do the first jump which was cool.

To do the grapple jump you just need to make the grapple waypoint be looking towards the place to grapple from the previous waypoint. And when the bots reach the grapple waypoint in the air they will let go

edit

As for the gauss gun, I'll add a new variable in the weapons config "holdattack" if "holdattack=1" the bots will hold the attack button
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:44 PM