Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RCBot with Gunman Chronicles
RCBot Forums > RCBot > Beta Version
ZonixZ
Hello!

A little bit of a backstory why I'm here in the first place asking this:

Now I'm not sure if this is the exactly right forum to post this in, but all I really have is a question. And help if this goes well.

So a while back ago I tried to ressurect a very dead game called "Gunman Chronicles", used to be alive during the WON ages, and I still have some of the community members back in those days, clan members of the game. They were very supporitve, so I thought, I'd ask my friend for help to make a website for this:

www.gcservers.me

That's not what I'm here to ask about, and I'm not here to advertise anything. What I need to ask is, is there any slight possibility that someone here who knows how to code and make RCBots work for Gunman?

I tried with HPBBot, we got so far that the bots actually manage to join the game, run around towards you and fire, but fire blanks. They do no damage and can't use any items. We got that far, then the project kinda ended, I got demotivated to try to continue (I don't know how to code but had my friend help me while I looked at the code and sorta understood it).

It's a goldsrc game, and I think it would be easy to make it work, and as inexperienced in coding as I am, I can't really do much myself. So is anybody here willing to help? : )

The reason why we want bots is because I think, not only can you relive some fun times of GC multiplayer at a basic level, but it can provide som fun while there are only a few amount of players on the servers. Afterall it's a dead game, that we're trying to revive, so far sucessful with about 10 players being around the corner each time when we want to play.

Now I understand if there's no time or if you're busy with anything, but an answer would be awesome. I did a post back on HPB forum and got a reply telling me I could ask here, and here I am! : )

Anyways, if I should repost this on another thread on RCBot, please advise me, I'm new here. Thanks alot in advance!

- ZonixZ

madmax2
Hey ZonixZ,

Welcome to the RCbot forums. smile.gif

You never said what the results were with RCbot, in this thread here:

http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=9114

Were you able to get RCbots to join & run around, or just HPBbot? Maybe a few more details? RCbotbeta? metamod? etc..

Anyways, if I should repost this on another thread on RCBot, please advise me, I'm new here.

It doesn't look like anyone else has asked about gunman here, before. Your post is ok, no need to repost.

It's a goldsrc game, and I think it would be easy to make it work, and as inexperienced in coding as I am, I can't really do much myself. So is anybody here willing to help? : )

I can't answer for any of the coders here, so you will have to wait for one of them.

Maybe if you have someone on your end with "limited" experience coding, that can do most of the "leg work", you might get some specific questions answered here, about RCbot??? Is your friend still available to help?

I wish I could help you more, but I don't have GC and I'm not a coder sad.gif ...

madmax2
ZonixZ
Yeah about that, I didn't try to edit the source code for it to work with RCBot.

The thing is, I guess I could try, but the editing we did to HPBbot was EXTREMELY basic, it even involved a small fix disguising Gunman Chronicles as a different bot supported game, i.e renaming the folder to "tfc" as the bot recognizes the folder destination and can read/write files to the HPBbot plugin.

If you don't have the destination called after a supported game it just gives you "Access Violation Error" in an error log, and that is because HPB tried to read / write to a destination which wasnt supported (didn't exist for HPB), ending up in that error.

The next problem is how the bot behaves, weapons etc, they used HL1 weapons and we had no clue how to implement GC supported weapons (as they are very different from hl1), as you can right click to customize them.

Also if you don't have GC you can just download it as a 3rd party mod off our website.

www.gcservers.me

It works as a database for Gunman, skins maps etc.

I donno, I guess I can look into the source code.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.