Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I Install?
RCBot Forums > RCBot 2 for HL2 > RCbot2 > TF2
Pages: 1, 2
DreadedGhoul575
Hello,
I want to download this mod, but I ain't sure on how to install it; the installation is only for half-life and day of defeat: source.

Does anyone know how to install it? (Just hope it's easy lol)
Thanks,
P.S What do these bots feature?
madmax2
Well the easiest way is to use the installer and launcher smile.gif . The latest version with the installer is 0.96. Get it from the first post here: http://rcbot.bots-united.com/
See the changelogs for features...

Unzip it to a temp folder and run the installer, it will place a launcher shortcut on your desktop. The installer will try to locate your steam folder, be sure it is correct. The launcher needs a couple things set and saved (save config button), like adding bots on first tab will add bots for you (i.e. minimum 1 and maximum 15), don't worry about customizing bot settings until you have them working. You need to select the mod and check add bots automatically each time you launch and exit with the launcher.

That's probably all dod:s & hl2:dm needs to get it working with the launcher. TF2 needs a bit more... Go to the general tab under Hooking Method and set the TF2 offset to 418. I have Hook Once checked, toggle it the other way if you have any intermittent crashes. There are also 3 more offsets for TF2 now, because of steam updates to TF2. I don't think the installer adds them, so you will need to add them to the extras tab (& save it) or directly to the config.ini for rcbot2. See this topic about the TF2 offsets:

http://rcbot.bots-united.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1914

Currently, the launcher is not compatible with the RCbot2 metamod:source version for TF2. There is a topic for that, but i'd suggest get this working first, then convert over to that only if you want those features... I don't have TF2, so can't really help with that... Metamod:s version is manual install, not as easy, and beta....

For metamod:s versions see this:

http://rcbot.bots-united.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1943

And this:

http://rcbot.bots-united.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1967
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(madmax2 @ Aug 21 2015, 01:18 AM) *

Well the easiest way is to use the installer and launcher smile.gif . The latest version with the installer is 0.96. Get it from the first post here: http://rcbot.bots-united.com/
See the changelogs for features...

Unzip it to a temp folder and run the installer, it will place a launcher shortcut on your desktop. The installer will try to locate your steam folder, be sure it is correct. The launcher needs a couple things set and saved (save config button), like adding bots on first tab will add bots for you (i.e. minimum 1 and maximum 15), don't worry about customizing bot settings until you have them working. You need to select the mod and check add bots automatically each time you launch and exit with the launcher.

That's probably all dod:s & hl2:dm needs to get it working with the launcher. TF2 needs a bit more... Go to the general tab under Hooking Method and set the TF2 offset to 418. I have Hook Once checked, toggle it the other way if you have any intermittent crashes. There are also 3 more offsets for TF2 now, because of steam updates to TF2. I don't think the installer adds them, so you will need to add them to the extras tab (& save it) or directly to the config.ini for rcbot2. See this topic about the TF2 offsets:

http://rcbot.bots-united.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1914

Currently, the launcher is not compatible with the RCbot2 metamod:source version for TF2. There is a topic for that, but i'd suggest get this working first, then convert over to that only if you want those features... I don't have TF2, so can't really help with that... Metamod:s version is manual install, not as easy, and beta....

For metamod:s versions see this:

And this:

Does this work offline? Without sourcemod, metamod and stuff? Someone told me on steam that I have to buy a server for this and I thought that's a bit much tbh.
madmax2
Yes, it works offline, the installer is for a listen server (single player play on the same PC it is installed on). If you have a LAN, your family members can join & play too. You don't need metamod:s or sourcemod if you use 0.96 or older. You don't need a dedicated or rented server either... Use the installer from http://rcbot.bots-united.com/... The installer supports TF2, HL2:dm and DOD:s... Sorry for the confusion, and have fun... smile.gif
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(madmax2 @ Aug 26 2015, 02:27 AM) *

Yes, it works offline, the installer is for a listen server (single player play on the same PC it is installed on). If you have a LAN, your family members can join & play too. You don't need metamod:s or sourcemod if you use 0.96 or older. You don't need a dedicated or rented server either... Use the installer from http://rcbot.bots-united.com/... The installer supports TF2, HL2:dm and DOD:s... Sorry for the confusion, and have fun... smile.gif

Thanks smile.gif and one more thing, does this work with training? Training, dustbowl bots, do I have to do it through console, or do I have to create a server on dustbowl?
DreadedGhoul575

I did everything, and went onto offline practice and added no tf2 bots (originals), but in the console, it said about visibility percentage and once it had finished, no bots joined dry.gif

And also, I typed add rcbot and that didn't work, then I typed rcbot config min_bots 16 and the bots joined, but didn't move (also they didn't work on mvm_rottenburg like on the video)
Ilhom
QUOTE(DreadedGhoul575 @ Aug 26 2015, 08:04 AM) *

I did everything, and went onto offline practice and added no tf2 bots (originals), but in the console, it said about visibility percentage and once it had finished, no bots joined dry.gif
And also, I typed add rcbot and that didn't work, then I typed rcbot config min_bots 16 and the bots joined, but didn't move (also they didn't work on mvm_rottenburg like on the video)

Obviously waypoints are missing. After spawning 2 messages should appear: one saying "Welcome to RCBot by Cheeseh" and the other one saying "Waypoint by <waypoint author> (edited by <waypoint editor>)". If waypoints are missing, the last message should instead say "No waypoint found" or something similar (I don't remember exactly what it should say because my game crashes immediately after choosing the map, so I can't check what it says). If you use the standard directory waypoints should be located in C:\Users\<username>\rcbot2\waypoints\team fortress 2\ on Windows. And I believe the runplayer_cmd_tf2 being set incorrectly may cause this too.

P.S. "rcbot addbot", not "add rcbot".
DreadedGhoul575

QUOTE(Ilhom @ Aug 26 2015, 05:40 PM) *

Obviously waypoints are missing. After spawning 2 messages should appear: one saying "Welcome to RCBot by Cheeseh" and the other one saying "Waypoint by <waypoint author> (edited by <waypoint editor>)". If waypoints are missing, the last message should instead say "No waypoint found" or something similar (I don't remember exactly what it should say because my game crashes immediately after choosing the map, so I can't check what it says). If you use the standard directory waypoints should be located in C:\Users\<username>\rcbot2\waypoints\team fortress 2\ on Windows. And I believe the runplayer_cmd_tf2 being set incorrectly may cause this too.

P.S. "rcbot addbot", not "add rcbot".

It works fully now. One more thing, how do you make them all go onto one team? E.g. 22 rcbots on blue team vs 22 tf2 bots on red team.
madmax2
From the readme...

Usage:

rcbot addbot <class> <team> <name>

Team Fortress 2
-----------
Class numbers

1 = scout

2 = sniper

3 = soldier

4 = demoman

5 = medic ( Bugs )

6 = hwguy

7 = pyro ( Bugs )

8 = Spy

9 = Engineer

Team Numbers:
2 = red

3 = blue

DOD:Source
-----------
Class numbers

0 = Rifleman

1 = Support

2 = Assault

3 = Sniper

4 = Machine Gunner

5 = Rocket

Team Numbers:
2 = Allies

3 = Axis

Add to the rcbot2 config.ini or can add and save in the launcher extras tab...

example will add demoman to blue team on TF2 or machine gunner to axis on dod:s
rcbot addbot 4 3

This is alternate method of adding bots, don't use min/max bots at the same time if you want balanced teams, it can get confused, unbalanced... You can balance the teams and classes with rcbot addbot. You will need to adjust the number of bots added to the number of players joining your game if you want perfect balance.
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(madmax2 @ Aug 26 2015, 09:33 PM) *

From the readme...

Usage:

rcbot addbot <class> <team> <name>

Team Fortress 2
-----------
Class numbers

1 = scout

2 = sniper

3 = soldier

4 = demoman

5 = medic ( Bugs )

6 = hwguy

7 = pyro ( Bugs )

8 = Spy

9 = Engineer

Team Numbers:
2 = red

3 = blue

DOD:Source
-----------
Class numbers

0 = Rifleman

1 = Support

2 = Assault

3 = Sniper

4 = Machine Gunner

5 = Rocket
Team Numbers:
2 = Allies

3 = Axis

Add to the rcbot2 config.ini or can add and save in the launcher extras tab...

example will add demoman to blue team on TF2 or machine gunner to axis on dod:s
rcbot addbot 4 3

This is alternate method of adding bots, don't use min/max bots at the same time if you want balanced teams, it can get confused, unbalanced... You can balance the teams and classes with rcbot addbot. You will need to adjust the number of bots added to the number of players joining your game if you want perfect balance.

That's a bit confusing. I figured it out myself just; I created a server, "sv_cheats 1, mp_autoteambalance 0, mp_scrambleteams 0, mp_teams_unbalance_limit 0" then I made the tf2 bots expert difficulty 'tf_bot_difficulty 3' and then I typed tf_bot_add 11 blue, then rcbot addbot 11 times, so I got 11 tfbots vs 11 rcbots and I could type mp_switchteams to make them switch. cool.gif
madmax2
I don't know how stable it will be mixing tfbots & rcbots? But I don't have tf2, so there is some things I don't know about it... Thats cool if it's stable smile.gif ... Just to add rcbots, do something like this at end of the rcbot2 config.ini:

rcbot addbot 0 2
rcbot addbot 0 3
rcbot addbot 1 2
rcbot addbot 1 3
rcbot addbot 2 2
rcbot addbot 2 3
rcbot addbot 3 2
rcbot addbot 3 3
rcbot addbot 4 2
rcbot addbot 4 3
rcbot addbot 5 2
rcbot addbot 5 3

and so on....

then you don't have to type addbot multiple times.

Or create a cfg file in the tf2 cfg folder with the rcbot addbot commands, then just exec that cfg file from the console to add multiple rcbots at once. (exec rcbotadd.cfg). Optionally, you could set up more than one cfg with different mixes of bot classes (rcbotadd1.cfg, rcbotadd2.cfg, rcbotadd3.cfg ...). then exec the one you want to use for that round... You probably can add the TF_bots and commands to the same cfg file too?

Let us know how the TF_bots vs RCbots turns out, thats cool... Not sure if anyone has posted on that or not. Who wins and such things? smile.gif
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(madmax2 @ Aug 27 2015, 12:01 AM) *

I don't know how stable it will be mixing tfbots & rcbots? But I don't have tf2, so there is some things I don't know about it... Thats cool if it's stable smile.gif ... Just to add rcbots, do something like this at end of the rcbot2 config.ini:

rcbot addbot 0 2
rcbot addbot 0 3
rcbot addbot 1 2
rcbot addbot 1 3
rcbot addbot 2 2
rcbot addbot 2 3
rcbot addbot 3 2
rcbot addbot 3 3
rcbot addbot 4 2
rcbot addbot 4 3
rcbot addbot 5 2
rcbot addbot 5 3

and so on....

then you don't have to type addbot multiple times.

Or create a cfg file in the tf2 cfg folder with the rcbot addbot commands, then just exec that cfg file from the console to add multiple rcbots at once. (exec rcbotadd.cfg). Optionally, you could set up more than one cfg with different mixes of bot classes (rcbotadd1.cfg, rcbotadd2.cfg, rcbotadd3.cfg ...). then exec the one you want to use for that round... You probably can add the TF_bots and commands to the same cfg file too?

Let us know how the TF_bots vs RCbots turns out, thats cool... Not sure if anyone has posted on that or not. Who wins and such things? smile.gif

My method worked fully and seems to be the easiest, and also rcbot_supermode 1 is cool as well; proper funny watching the bots taunt and stuff before start-up (makes them look like humans) laugh.gif

Appreciate the help overall. wink.gif
DreadedGhoul575
I forgot to mention, how do I delete a rcbot profile permanently? I created one and I wanna remove it, so I clicked remove, but it appeared again after and also in-game. unsure.gif
Edit: Never mind, I figured out; users, rcbot2, profiles and 33.ini
genmac
When playing CTF maps I prefer using a mix of tf2 bots and rcbots. Tf bots seems have better AI for defending the flag carrier but can't do rocket jumps and the tf bot engineer has no AI at all so that's where Rcbots do it parts the stock bots can't do.

Here's the config I use to spawn the specific bots I need and certain commands in an instant....you can try copy it and save it as ctf_bots.cfg and simply put it on your CFG folder and execute it via console using the command.....exec ctf_bots
----------------------------------------------------
tf_bot_keep_class_after_death 1
rcbot_change_classes 0

rcbot addbot 9 2 // engr
rcbot addbot 1 2 // scout
rcbot addbot 3 2 // soldier
tf_bot_add 1 pyro red expert
tf_bot_add 1 sniper red expert
tf_bot_add 1 spy red expert
tf_bot_add 1 heavyweapons red expert
tf_bot_add 1 demoman red expert
tf_bot_add 1 medic red expert

rcbot addbot 9 3 // engr
rcbot addbot 1 3 // scout
rcbot addbot 3 3 // soldier
tf_bot_add 1 pyro blue expert
tf_bot_add 1 sniper blue expert
tf_bot_add 1 spy blue expert
tf_bot_add 1 heavyweapons blue expert
tf_bot_add 1 demoman blue expert
tf_bot_add 1 medic blue expert

//Team Fortress 2
//Class numbers
//1 = scout
//2 = sniper
//3 = soldier
//4 = demoman
//5 = medic ( Bugs )
//6 = hwguy
//7 = pyro ( Bugs )
//8 = Spy
//9 = Engineer

//Team Numbers:
//2 = red
//3 = blue

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(genmac @ Aug 28 2015, 02:50 AM) *

When playing CTF maps I prefer using a mix of tf2 bots and rcbots. Tf bots seems have better AI for defending the flag carrier but can't do rocket jumps and the tf bot engineer has no AI at all so that's where Rcbots do it parts the stock bots can't do.

Here's the config I use to spawn the specific bots I need and certain commands in an instant....you can try copy it and save it as ctf_bots.cfg and simply put it on your CFG folder and execute it via console using the command.....exec ctf_bots
----------------------------------------------------
rcbot_change_classes 0

rcbot addbot 9 2 // engr
rcbot addbot 1 2 // scout
rcbot addbot 3 2 // soldier
tf_bot_add 1 pyro red expert
tf_bot_add 1 sniper red expert
tf_bot_add 1 spy red expert
tf_bot_add 1 heavyweapons red expert
tf_bot_add 1 demoman red expert
tf_bot_add 1 medic red expert
rcbot addbot 9 3 // engr
rcbot addbot 1 3 // scout
rcbot addbot 3 3 // soldier
tf_bot_add 1 pyro blue expert
tf_bot_add 1 sniper blue expert
tf_bot_add 1 spy blue expert
tf_bot_add 1 heavyweapons blue expert
tf_bot_add 1 demoman blue expert
tf_bot_add 1 medic blue expert

//Team Fortress 2
//Class numbers
//1 = scout
//2 = sniper
//3 = soldier
//4 = demoman
//5 = medic ( Bugs )
//6 = hwguy
//7 = pyro ( Bugs )
//8 = Spy
//9 = Engineer

//Team Numbers:
//2 = red
//3 = blue

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's stopped working for some reason; unable to add the bots.
genmac
You mean rcbots? well valve probably updated tf2 again breaking things as usual.

check if the rcbot dll is even loaded. if yes go to your config.ini and edit this line ..
rcbot_runplayer_cmd_tf2 418
to
rcbot_runplayer_cmd_tf2 419
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(genmac @ Sep 12 2015, 01:56 PM) *

You mean rcbots? well valve probably updated tf2 again breaking things as usual.

check if the rcbot dll is even loaded. if yes go to your config.ini and edit this line ..
rcbot_runplayer_cmd_tf2 418
to
rcbot_runplayer_cmd_tf2 419

How do I check? Cheers.
Nightc0re
QUOTE(DreadedGhoul575 @ Sep 19 2015, 08:48 PM) *
How do I check? Cheers.

If you are using metamod, type "meta list".
If you are using the native plugin, type "plugin_print".
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(Nightc0re @ Sep 19 2015, 09:11 PM) *

If you are using metamod, type "meta list".
If you are using the native plugin, type "plugin_print".

I ain't using metamod and I ain't using any plugins; I tried them both and the metmod command was unknown and the plugin one just had two straight lines.
Nightc0re
QUOTE(DreadedGhoul575 @ Sep 20 2015, 11:12 AM) *
I ain't using metamod and I ain't using any plugins; I tried them both and the metmod command was unknown and the plugin one just had two straight lines.

The native plugins are not working at the moment, so you have to use the latest metamod plugins for RCBot2.
Cheeseh is currently only updating the metamod version of the RCBot2.

Download the latest version 1.11.0-git992 from the snapshots.
https://www.metamodsource.net/snapshots

And install the rcbot metamod plugin from here:
or here
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(Nightc0re @ Sep 20 2015, 11:16 AM) *

The native plugins are not working at the moment, so you have to use the latest metamod plugins for RCBot2.

or here

I don't really use it tbh and I prefer it offline by myself; it worked before, but no longer.
Nightc0re
QUOTE(DreadedGhoul575 @ Sep 21 2015, 09:55 AM) *
I don't really use it tbh and I prefer it offline by myself

Metamod also works offline. Metamod is just a better technique to load and unload plugins.
It has nothing to do with offline or online, it just intercepts the server commands so plugins can use them.

Metamod is an abstraction layer between the plugin and the server.

This means, when the server gets updated, the plugin author generally does not have to update his plugin.
All that must be done, is upgrading metamod and then the plugin is working again.

As you can see metamod is a better and more convenient way to load plugins.
Metamod is also available for older servers. Again, it has nothing to do with offline or online.
Metamod is basically a plugin loader, not more, not less.

If you do not want to use this plugin loader, then you will have to wait.
Because Cheeseh is currently only updating the metamod plugin.

If you want to know what metamod really does, look here:
https://www.metamodsource.net/about

QUOTE(DreadedGhoul575 @ Sep 21 2015, 09:55 AM) *
it worked before, but no longer.

Do you have done anything before it stopped working?

The rcbot plugin stopped working because there was a new server update by valve.
This problem can be fixed by updating metamod.

What do you mean with offline?

Are you using the latest dedicated server from valve, and use it in LAN mode, or are you using an outdated server?
If you don't have updated your server, I don't understand why the plugin stopped working.
madmax2
QUOTE(Nightc0re @ Sep 21 2015, 04:49 AM) *

The rcbot plugin stopped working because there was a new server update by valve.
This problem can be fixed by updating metamod.

Are you using the latest dedicated server from valve, and use it in LAN mode, or are you using an outdated server?
If you don't have updated your server, I don't understand why the plugin stopped working.

Hey Nightcore,

I think you gave a very good description of metamod and plugins, thanks for all your support smile.gif ...

I think he is a new user and just got the native plugin installed a few days before valve's updates broke it. He may be playing on a listen server, single player. I assume the valve updates also broke native rcbot2 plugin on listen servers? I'm using rcbot2 on a listen server, single player, steam offline mode. I updated dod:s about a week before the latest updates, so the native rcbot2 plugin still works for me in offline mode. So if he had his TF2 set to automatic update, that is why it quit working (native rcbot2), I guess...
Nightc0re
QUOTE(madmax2 @ Sep 21 2015, 06:58 PM) *

Hey Nightcore,

I think you gave a very good description of metamod and plugins, thanks for all your support smile.gif ...

I think he is a new user and just got the native plugin installed a few days before valve's updates broke it. He may be playing on a listen server, single player. I assume the valve updates also broke native rcbot2 plugin on listen servers? I'm using rcbot2 on a listen server, single player, steam offline mode. I updated dod:s about a week before the latest updates, so the native rcbot2 plugin still works for me in offline mode. So if he had his TF2 set to automatic update, that is why it quit working (native rcbot2), I guess...

You're welcome.

Your assumptions are correct. The listen server and the dedicated server are basically the same.
In your game client, there is a folder called "game/tf/bin". In this folder there are two files, the "client.dll" and the "server.dll".

The "server.dll" is loaded when you start an in-game server.
When you install a dedicated server, then you also have this "bin" folder, with the same content except the "client.dll".

I just compared the "server.dll" from the dedicated server with the "server.dll" from the in-game server.
They are binary identical.

So when the dedicated servers are not working.
And you have the latest client, it is very likely that the in-game server doesn't work too.

Metamod can also be loaded from an in-game server, however you have to specify the "-insecure" flag.
Which is not needed when using dedicated servers.
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(Nightc0re @ Sep 20 2015, 11:16 AM) *

or here

Oh right, I prefer offline tbh, I'll wait until they're hopefully back up I guess.
Nightc0re
QUOTE(DreadedGhoul575 @ Sep 22 2015, 11:05 AM) *
Oh right, I prefer offline tbh, I'll wait until they're hopefully back up I guess.

Did you miss the entire second page of this thread?
Edit: After checking the post you have quoted, I really think you have missed the second page of this thread.
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(Nightc0re @ Sep 21 2015, 12:49 PM) *

Metamod also works offline. Metamod is just a better technique to load and unload plugins.
It has nothing to do with offline or online, it just intercepts the server commands so plugins can use them.

Metamod is an abstraction layer between the plugin and the server.

This means, when the server gets updated, the plugin author generally does not have to update his plugin.
All that must be done, is upgrading metamod and then the plugin is working again.

As you can see metamod is a better and more convenient way to load plugins.
Metamod is also available for older servers. Again, it has nothing to do with offline or online.
Metamod is basically a plugin loader, not more, not less.

If you do not want to use this plugin loader, then you will have to wait.
Because Cheeseh is currently only updating the metamod plugin.

If you want to know what metamod really does, look here:
https://www.metamodsource.net/about

I don't really understand metamod tbh and nothing about servers; I go onto create a server, cp_dustbowl and start and sometimes type commands in the console (that's what I mean by offline kinda lol)
This problem can be fixed by updating metamod. No, I didn't do anything to stop it from working, most likely the update and I don't know what you mean by updating the server because I don't have one.

QUOTE(madmax2 @ Sep 21 2015, 05:58 PM) *

Hey Nightcore,

You helped me install it without sm and mm and yes, most likely it did break it. Yeah, automatic update.

QUOTE(Nightc0re @ Sep 21 2015, 06:51 PM) *

You're welcome.

Your assumptions are correct. The listen server and the dedicated server are basically the same.
In your game client, there is a folder called "game/tf/bin". In this folder there are two files, the "client.dll" and the "server.dll".

The "server.dll" is loaded when you start an in-game server.
When you install a dedicated server, then you also have this "bin" folder, with the same content except the "client.dll".

I just compared the "server.dll" from the dedicated server with the "server.dll" from the in-game server.
They are binary identical.

So when the dedicated servers are not working.
And you have the latest client, it is very likely that the in-game server doesn't work too.

Metamod can also be loaded from an in-game server, however you have to specify the "-insecure" flag.
Which is not needed when using dedicated servers.

I don't really understand all of that, I just mainly want it, so I can play solo with them, or even spectate. No big deal though I guess.

QUOTE(Nightc0re @ Sep 22 2015, 03:31 PM) *

Did you miss the entire second page of this thread?
Edit: After checking the post you have quoted, I really think you have missed the second page of this thread.

Yeah lol, I didn't realise it makes a second page lol; I noticed the comments on others, but they had no more pages than 1, so I thought it's all on one. laugh.gif
Nightc0re
QUOTE(DreadedGhoul575 @ Sep 22 2015, 10:50 PM) *
No, I didn't do anything to stop it from working, most likely the update and I don't know what you mean by updating the server because I don't have one.

I will try to explain it with simple words.

For a multi player game (like TF2) you have to understand the client-server-concept.
You cannot start a multi player game (like TF2) without a game server.
Someone is creating a server, and other clients can join this server, to play together on the same map.

TF2 has an integrated in-game server.
When you click "Create Server" in TF2, then you are starting a local game server and you are automatically connecting to your own local server.

Although it's a local server, it is still called a server.
When TF2 gets updated, your local game server also gets updated.

RCBot2 is a plugin for this server.

So when somebody in this forum is saying "server" they are referring to your (local) "game server".
This game server can be created on your local computer, or somewhere else (it doesn't matter).
But the installation of RCBot2 is the same, for every server (local or dedicated).

I don't really understand metamod tbh and nothing about servers; I go onto create a server, cp_dustbowl and start and sometimes type commands in the console (that's what I mean by offline kinda lol)

What you are using is called an in-game server, or listen server.
Metamod also works for in-game servers.

I don't really understand all of that, I just mainly want it, so I can play solo with them, or even spectate. No big deal though I guess.

As I mentioned before, RCBot2 is a server plugin. Therefore this plugin has to be loaded first.
There are two ways to load a plugin. Via the native plugin interface of your game, or metamod.

Cheeseh is currently not updating the native plugin (which you were using).
But, Cheeseh updated the metamod plugin of RCBot2, which is working with the latest updates.

So you have to download metamod (metamod is used to load plugins).
And then you have to download the latest metamod plugin from Cheeseh.

1.) First delete your installed RCBot2 plugin.
The file is called "HPB_bot2.dll" or "HPB_Bot2o.dll", search it, and delete it.

2.) Download metamod from here:
http://www.metamodsource.net/mmsdrop/1.11/mmsource-1.11.0-git992-windows.zip

There is a folder in this zip called "addons". Copy this folder to
"steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf", afterwards it should look like this:
"steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\addons".

3.) Add "-console -insecure" to your launch options in Steam.
Then you should see this message, in your in-game console.
Loading unsigned module ..\tf\addons\metamod\bin\server
Access to secure servers is disabled.

4.) Afterwards download the latest metamod plugin from Cheeseh.
http://sourceforge.net/p/rcbot2/code/HEAD/tree/utils/RCBot2_meta/Debug/rcbot2meta.dll?format=raw

5.) Then create a folder in your "addons" folder called "rcbot2".
It should look like this "steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\addons\rcbot2".
Place the "rcbot2meta.dll" in this folder.

6.) Then go to your "addons" folder, into the subfolder "metamod".
This folder "steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\addons\metamod".

Create a file called "rcbot2.vdf". Open this file with a text editor.
Write following lines into this file:
"Metamod Plugin"
{
"alias" "rcbot2"
"file" "addons/rcbot2/rcbot2meta"
}

7.) Then start the game, and everything should work smile.gif
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(Nightc0re @ Sep 22 2015, 11:03 PM) *

I will try to explain it with simple words.

For a multi player game (like TF2) you have to understand the client-server-concept.
You cannot start a multi player game (like TF2) without a game server.
Someone is creating a server, and other clients can join this server, to play together on the same map.

TF2 has an integrated in-game server.
When you click "Create Server" in TF2, then you are starting a local game server and you are automatically connecting to your own local server.

Although it's a local server, it is still called a server.
When TF2 gets updated, your local game server also gets updated.

RCBot2 is a plugin for this server.

So when somebody in this forum is saying "server" they are referring to your (local) "game server".
This game server can be created on your local computer, or somewhere else (it doesn't matter).
But the installation of RCBot2 is the same, for every server (local or dedicated).
What you are using is called an in-game server, or listen server.
Metamod also works for in-game servers.
As I mentioned before, RCBot2 is a server plugin. Therefore this plugin has to be loaded first.
There are two ways to load a plugin. Via the native plugin interface of your game, or metamod.

Cheeseh is currently not updating the native plugin (which you were using).
But, Cheeseh updated the metamod plugin of RCBot2, which is working with the latest updates.

So you have to download metamod (metamod is used to load plugins).
And then you have to download the latest metamod plugin from Cheeseh.

http://www.metamodsource.net/mmsdrop/1.11/mmsource-1.11.0-git992-windows.zip

http://sourceforge.net/p/rcbot2/code/HEAD/tree/utils/RCBot2_meta/Debug/rcbot2meta.dll?format=raw

I understand about creating a server; I thought you meant those ones you purchase and stuff, but yeah, my tf2 updates automatically. I will try all of this soon, thanks for the help overall. smile.gif
genmac
Rcbot works better on a listenserver but it does support dedicated servers but I'm not sure how stable the metamod version it is now since I only run the bot on a listenserver with all my metmamod and sourcemod plugins running on an offline tf2 client away from the clutches of steam updates I don't need.
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(genmac @ Sep 24 2015, 08:10 AM) *

Rcbot works better on a listenserver but it does support dedicated servers but I'm not sure how stable the metamod version it is now since I only run the bot on a listenserver with all my metmamod and sourcemod plugins running on an offline tf2 client away from the clutches of steam updates I don't need.

So, if I go onto create a server, cp_dustbowl and spectate, will it work? (I mainly spectate 15 rcbots vs 15 rcbots lol)
genmac
Yeah it should work...you can even do a bot battle ....rcbots vs tf bots...and see which bots will win at their max settings hehe.
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(genmac @ Sep 24 2015, 01:42 PM) *

Yeah it should work...you can even do a bot battle ....rcbots vs tf bots...and see which bots will win at their max settings hehe.

Ok, I've done the following instructions:

http://www.metamodsource.net/mmsdrop/1.11/...992-windows.zip

http://sourceforge.net/p/rcbot2/code/HEAD/....dll?format=raw

"Metamod Plugin"
{
"alias" "rcbot2"
}

How do I change the stuff about rcbots? Names, difficulty, how many, which team etc. I know only one by the console, but it takes too long like that; "add rcbot".

QUOTE(DreadedGhoul575 @ Sep 24 2015, 03:28 PM) *

Ok, I've done the following instructions:

http://www.metamodsource.net/mmsdrop/1.11/...992-windows.zip

http://sourceforge.net/p/rcbot2/code/HEAD/....dll?format=raw

"Metamod Plugin"
{
"alias" "rcbot2"
}

How do I change the stuff about rcbots? Names, difficulty, how many, which team etc. I know only one by the console, but it takes too long like that; "add rcbot".

It's also laggy compared to the previous one I had.
genmac
To change names and other bot settings just go inside your rcbot folder and edit the bot profiles using notepad...everything is explained on the rcbot manual or readme.txt.

Yeah too much bots will lag your listenserver especially if you use both bots so just spawn as many your rig can easily handle without too much frame drops.
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(genmac @ Sep 28 2015, 02:30 AM) *

To change names and other bot settings just go inside your rcbot folder and edit the bot profiles using notepad...everything is explained on the rcbot manual or readme.txt.

Yeah too much bots will lag your listenserver especially if you use both bots so just spawn as many your rig can easily handle without too much frame drops.

With at least 16 rcbots (8v8), it lags. I'll probably leave this mod until it's updated or less laggy (not to insult the developer)
genmac
probably something bottle necking your cpu, mine can still handle 9 vs 9 with some stock bots in it and random items on the bots.
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(genmac @ Sep 29 2015, 12:47 PM) *

probably something bottle necking your cpu, mine can still handle 9 vs 9 with some stock bots in it and random items on the bots.

Oh right, what's 'bottle necking'? I remember it came up once on google when I looked up 'ai vs ai games' at times.
DreadedGhoul575
Also, how do I install the most recent update now? I've noticed a new update on the website, but I don't know what to put my settings as, plus how to install it again. (lol)
genmac
@DreadedGhoul575 ...too much stuff running in the background on your cpu can create bottlenecks....for insalling the new updates simply extract first the files on an empty folder and execute it...hope it works.
Cheeseh
QUOTE(genmac @ Oct 11 2015, 10:22 AM) *

@DreadedGhoul575 ...too much stuff running in the background on your cpu can create bottlenecks....for insalling the new updates simply extract first the files on an empty folder and execute it...hope it works.

yes. Just extract everythingm then run installer.exe

most likely cpu causing the problem. You can reduce the cpu lag by reducing pathticks, visionticks and visionticksclients in each bot profile, but will cause bots to be less responsive
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(Cheeseh @ Oct 11 2015, 12:43 PM) *

yes. Just extract everythingm then run installer.exe

most likely cpu causing the problem. You can reduce the cpu lag by reducing pathticks, visionticks and visionticksclients in each bot profile, but will cause bots to be less responsive

Oh ok, btw http://imgur.com/7aBNBK1
Cheeseh
try this installer - replace the old one

http://rcbot.bots-united.com/downloads/rcb...t2Installer.exe
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(Cheeseh @ Oct 12 2015, 01:41 AM) *

try this installer - replace the old one

http://rcbot.bots-united.com/downloads/rcb...t2Installer.exe

Ok, and where do I put the RCBOT folder? This is an older version ain't it? (The new one buggy?)
Cheeseh
QUOTE(DreadedGhoul575 @ Oct 12 2015, 11:29 AM) *

Ok, and where do I put the RCBOT folder? This is an older version ain't it? (The new one buggy?)

it doesn't matter where you put it, put it where you want
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(Cheeseh @ Oct 12 2015, 01:45 PM) *

Oh ok, so it should work then now?

QUOTE(Cheeseh @ Oct 12 2015, 01:45 PM) *

No bots spawned in when I played. unsure.gif
Cheeseh
QUOTE(DreadedGhoul575 @ Oct 12 2015, 02:37 PM) *

Oh ok, so it should work then now?
No bots spawned in when I played. unsure.gif

did you run from the launcher?
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(Cheeseh @ Oct 12 2015, 03:37 PM) *

did you run from the launcher?

There is no launcher lol. huh.gif
Cheeseh
QUOTE(DreadedGhoul575 @ Oct 12 2015, 04:49 PM) *

after you install it should run a launcher exe. thereforet didn't install properly. remember if you want to run any plugins you must have -insecure in the command line
madmax2
QUOTE(DreadedGhoul575 @ Oct 12 2015, 08:49 AM) *

Maybe I can help, I just reinstalled steam and some games, but I did have a couple minor problems with the rcbot2meta installation.

Like Cheeseh said, if launching from steam directly you must have -insecure in steam launch options or a shortcut, for listen servers, rcbot won't start without it outside the launcher. The launcher is located inside the \rcbot2\launcher folder, if the installer did not work for you, just make a shortcut to it.

I had the same problem with both installers, a fatal exception error, but my dialog box was a .net error. I'm using winXP sp3, with .net 4.0.30319.1, which may be to old? So I did a manual install, mostly following bluecheese's manual instructions in the rcbot 1.0 topic. If you use the launcher and set the path to the rcbot2 folder correctly, and launch from the launcher, it will create the rcbot2.vdf for you in the metamod folder (step9 of his instructions). You can actually skip steps 7 & 8 of his instructions. After that you can launch from steam if you have added the -insecure flag to launch options.

Also there needs to be a metamod.vdf to start metamod, which does not seem to be included, unless the installer adds this?

Anyways, follow bluecheese's instructions in the other topic, and it should work. You can skip steps 7 & 8 and go directly to the launcher and set exactly where the rcbot2 folder is located, from inside the launcher. Be sure to include the rcbot2 folder in the path or it won't work. This is a problem with step8 of his instructions, but if set correctly in the launcher, it will fix the problem (it rewrites the rcbot2.vdf).

Bots won't join automatically until setting bots up in the launcher, but you can test once inside a map by typing rcbot addbot in the console (~)... Then you can go back to the launcher to configure everything the way you want it... Or using minimum & maximum bots in the launcher is an easy way to test too...

See this: http://rcbot.bots-united.com/forums/index....ost&p=13706
DreadedGhoul575
QUOTE(Cheeseh @ Oct 13 2015, 01:12 AM) *

after you install it should run a launcher exe. thereforet didn't install properly. remember if you want to run any plugins you must have -insecure in the command line

In that link you gave me, I have a rcbot folder, but with only folders and nothing else; no launcher or anything, just a folder called launcher.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.