Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holy Hell
RCBot Forums > RCBot > Unrelated
LordSkitch
Lemme paint a picture for you guys

ALright, so I'm on my server, cause the computer that sits in my room is in a bunch of pieces in the living room, cause I had new carpet installed in my room. So whatever, I'm doin' my thing on the server. Last night, around 2am I get a stop bluescreen. Now, I've gotten sayyyyy maybe 5 or 6 stop errors to date, and most of em are minor things that cause a hardware failure. Most of mine were due to a crappy power supply that was slowly failing and causing undervolts.

So, at 2am this stop error comes to my loverly little win2k3 advanced server system.. I think, great. A RAM error or something. So I let it do it's memory dump and reboot.

Disk read failure.
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot.

"Hmm... that's not good" methinks. So I power down the system, check all the connections all that crap that us nerds do. Power up.

Disk read failure.

"FU@*#!!" methinks. Now, I put my good computer together minmally on the floor of my room, and get the latest bios updates for that motherboard, and the IBM/Hitachi disk utilities. Flash BIOS. Reconfigure it. Reboot.

Disk read failure.

"Ohhhh christ." 4 days before a lan party, and this is the game server we're all gonna play on. Run the disk diagnostics utilities.

"Bad sectors found, either erase the disk or run the sector repair utility" Well run the sector repair utility of course!

Device Failure
Error: #070

"OHH GOD." So, I'm hating the IBM deathstars.. er.. deskstars even more than I ever have before. I run some other low level disk diagnostics, and go to bed.

Wake up in the morning, afternoon, whatever, check the server, same thing. device error. So, I call up a friend, we head out to compusa, and pick up 2 80gb Maxtor drives, now those are raided in a mirror, and for the past.. say.. 8 hours, I've been running a sector recovery utility thats pulling all the data possible out of that drive. With any luck, I'll get back the only two folders i really care about..

\inetpub
\servers

And I'll be able to get everything back online.

So, all you guys better scan the living hell out of your drives, so this crap doesnt happen to you!!! mad.gif
Cheeseh
I remember I destroyed my hard-drive as I was modding my case with the HDD still in.... NOT good!!

drilling = hard disk shaking like mad = bad clusters etc etc
LordSkitch
Hehe, metal shavings + electrical contacts = not good, always remove all electronics before cutting on your case! tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.