Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few issues.
RCBot Forums > RCBot > Beta Version
Scikar
I've been having trouble getting bots to remember waypoints. If I set a waypoint a fair distance away they will often move halfway and then stop. Even worse, when they die, they completely ignore any waypoints they have. So when I want to be upgrading stuff or working with a squad at the front, I can't, because I have to keep ordering the other bots to where I want them to go.

Also there are a lot of problems currently with waypoints not changing to the correct format, e.g. I place a waypoint on a built structure and can't get a guard waypoint. This means I can't get bots to guard an RT while I cover another squad, they'll just sit there screaming for orders then wander off in all directions.

Next, it would be useful to have some kind of squad manager. There is already the squad menu, but I'm not certain on exactly how it works? The squads don't seem to stay together very well. It would be useful to maybe create a squad for each player in combat and split the bots evenly between them. Also, it would help from here if bots would copy their leader regarding jetpack/HA, so if their leader chooses HA they will make a HA train, and if their leader gets a jetpack, they would all follow suit.

Finally, is there way to get marine bots to weld other marines when there aren't many enemies around? Perhaps have 2 per squad allowed to weld at one time maximum? And last of all, it would be useful to set modes, normal, rush, and tech. Normal would be as now, rush would mean they go directly for their waypoint upon respawn and ignore building structures along the way, as well as not armory humping, and in tech mode they will wait in the base upon spawn until the commander has given them HA/HMG or whatever.

Just a few ideas, thanks for the time. smile.gif
Cheeseh
I've been having trouble getting bots to remember waypoints. If I set a waypoint a fair distance away they will often move halfway and then stop. Even worse, when they die, they completely ignore any waypoints they have. So when I want to be upgrading stuff or working with a squad at the front, I can't, because I have to keep ordering the other bots to where I want them to go.

There are bugs with bots forgetting waypoints becuase they give up as they think there are doors they can't go through, or can't find a way due to failed paths, which need to be improved on I know.

Also there are a lot of problems currently with waypoints not changing to the correct format, e.g. I place a waypoint on a built structure and can't get a guard waypoint. This means I can't get bots to guard an RT while I cover another squad, they'll just sit there screaming for orders then wander off in all directions.

Thats an NS bug

Next, it would be useful to have some kind of squad manager. There is already the squad menu, but I'm not certain on exactly how it works? The squads don't seem to stay together very well. It would be useful to maybe create a squad for each player in combat and split the bots evenly between them. Also, it would help from here if bots would copy their leader regarding jetpack/HA, so if their leader chooses HA they will make a HA train, and if their leader gets a jetpack, they would all follow suit.

It would be a good idea, but does this really happen on online servers?

Finally, is there way to get marine bots to weld other marines when there aren't many enemies around? Perhaps have 2 per squad allowed to weld at one time maximum?

They already weld other marines to give them armour, just not very often. But when in squads, their tasks are typically limited to staying in the squad.

And last of all, it would be useful to set modes, normal, rush, and tech. Normal would be as now, rush would mean they go directly for their waypoint upon respawn and ignore building structures along the way, as well as not armory humping, and in tech mode they will wait in the base upon spawn until the commander has given them HA/HMG or whatever.

Again, I don't really like the idea of limiting bot behaviours to set configurations. My aim of the bot is to make it "human like", yeah it may be really dumb and all for a human, but I'm trying to code the guy behind the computer controlling the player, pressing keys and mouse to make them move. After all, it's a multiplayer game and multiplayer games are played by humans, people behind a screen.

My squad code came from the idea of operation flashpoint game, where you always got squads you could control, that was a kind of digression from my aim as you never get this sort of thing in a real multiplayer game of NS.

Sorry for all this theory but I want to keep all this stuff in mind to make bots learn by themselves at some point, after I learn some stuff myself to make them do that smile.gif It would be awesome to have bots that you talk to textually or across a microphone... and they actually perform actions or give you actions and orders at various circumstances don't you think? In conclusion, I really don't want to limit bots actions at all to certain modes. Again, sorry for the theory and weird reply (in translation it means I don't have much time right now to do anything and I'd rather do other things or start it all over again) tongue.gif
Scikar
Sorry about the waypoint thing, I know it's an NS bug and should have mentioned that.

Regarding the modes, it's not really a case of changing a setting or something as planning out a strategy. Most games with the bots that I play in are at lans to fill out the teams a bit more rather than anything else, since playing solo with bots doesn't quite cut it. Suppose you're playing combat at a lan, it's not unreasonable or unlikely to say "hey, can B and C defend while me, D and E attack the hive?" Or "yo B, can you weld me/the comm chair?" Or as aliens, "hey, everyone rush the comm chair, me and B will go for the marines." Of course, the bot might listen to you, or it might not. But it would be nice for the bot to say what it's doing in combat and accept the occasional idea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.